Author Topic: redoubt cemetery  (Read 1474 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
redoubt cemetery
« on: February 02, 2018, 12:38:52 AM »
pte 1921 George carr

in a letter to his wife,pte 1061 George Leyland explained how her brother was killed.

there were about 30 turks in front of us and george in his haste to kill them with a bomb,forgot to throw it and it exploded in his hand and killed him.

my question.
how did he end up in redoubt cemetery,it was difficult trying to bring in the wounded let alone a dead body,thats assuming the body was intact,a grenade makes an aweful mess of a man

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: redoubt cemetery
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:27:02 AM »
Mack,

You pose a good question.   Possibly the soldier's remains were buried with suitable cover together with appropriate identification and found and later buried after the war?     It is pleasing to note that the remains were discovered and a grave made, unlike the fate of so many whose bodies were never found.    As regards George's letter, the wording comes over as somewhat blunt.    For example, the suggestion of a faulty fuse could have been suggested, perhaps?   Regards, PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:54:26 AM »
hiya Philip
he wasn't buried after the war,he was buried by the chaplain Frederick William welbon during the campaign

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »
Mack,
Thank you for that further information.  I note that Redoubt Cemetery Helles was created in May 1915 and was in continual use until the evacuation of the Peninsula.   It would seem that there may have been enough soldiers, including one must suppose - Pte Leyland - to carry Pte Carr's body to the cemetery when he died in August 1915 and where, no doubt, the Padre would have officiated.     PhilipG.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »
I was at the Redoubt cemetery a few years ago and walked the ground up to Krithia, it isn't especially difficult to navigate (although nobody was actually trying to kill us while we were doing it) If Private Carr was killed amongst his fellow soldiers, I doubt they would have left him
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."