Author Topic: Royal Lancasters in the Boer War  (Read 12997 times)

ladysmith

Re: Royal Lancasters in the Boer War
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 06:58:10 AM »
you are all amazing, thanks so much everyone! it was great also to read the physical descriptions as we have no photos of him (with or without socks) of course. it all seems very sad tho, and so young to die. unfortunate about the disiplinary notes there - would that be a normal amount do you think or was he having 'issues' with authority by then? thanks again, Sam

Sam - Two entries in the defaulters book were a minor issue. I've seen plenty of papers of soldiers who had many more including one with 55 entries!

David

tisgrannie

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:37 AM »
Sam. So pleased that we were able to help here on site. Its amazing that they can find the stuff. Happy for you that the person has evolved. I wouldn't worry to much about his couple of hiccups. may be didn't like getting up to early  :)
You do see some corkers now and again. In fact one the longest living Soldiers still to survive WW1 was a right little devil by the sounds of it. Rightfully he is treated as a great hero. They did what they had to do. And as with Willie some paid the ultimate price. That is what Willie is remembered for.
Lots to look forward too, nearly grannie. I wish Grandchildren on everyone. The best thing ever happened to me. I adore them, all 3. I find I am completely different than as a mother. Age, time, maturity, patience which I never had with my 4 sons. May be all those factors that make it so enjoyable an experience.
Enjoy Sam and all the very best. Pop in again sometime!
best wishes
tisgrannie

Offline sam

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 07:53:44 PM »
thanks tisgrannie, I certainly appreciate what you have all found out for me on this great site. actually I just love reading through other peoples queries too as they are interesting and you never know what you might learn! I wish I could offer something back but can't think any special knowledge I have so will just say = thank you, you are a great bunch! Sam

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
you are all amazing, thanks so much everyone! it was great also to read the physical descriptions as we have no photos of him (with or without socks) of course. it all seems very sad tho, and so young to die. unfortunate about the disiplinary notes there - would that be a normal amount do you think or was he having 'issues' with authority by then? thanks again, Sam
nearly every soldier in the british army ended up on a FIZZER,its part of army life sam.

mack

Offline sam

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
Hi I found this link to the Royal Lancasters Museum South African War Memorial from one of Timbermans suggested sites. I can see my Will Gwynne there, hopefully the list is of interest to others looking for a relative.   

http://www.kingsownmuseum.plus.com/southafrica02.htm

Sam

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
Sam. So pleased that we were able to help here on site. Its amazing that they can find the stuff. Happy for you that the person has evolved. I wouldn't worry to much about his couple of hiccups. may be didn't like getting up to early  :)
You do see some corkers now and again. In fact one the longest living Soldiers still to survive WW1 was a right little devil by the sounds of it. Rightfully he is treated as a great hero. They did what they had to do. And as with Willie some paid the ultimate price. That is what Willie is remembered for.
Lots to look forward too, nearly grannie. I wish Grandchildren on everyone. The best thing ever happened to me. I adore them, all 3. I find I am completely different than as a mother. Age, time, maturity, patience which I never had with my 4 sons. May be all those factors that make it so enjoyable an experience.
Enjoy Sam and all the very best. Pop in again sometime!
best wishes
tisgrannie
the difference between kids+grandkids,is you can hand the grandkids back to their parents when they drive you nuts,i luv all mine to bits,i get shouted at for spoiling them,but i dont care ;D,i keep gettin in trouble for spoiling my 4yr old grand daughter,i dont treat her any different from the rest,its just that she shines a little brighter than the others cos shes a girl, ;D mack

tisgrannie

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 07:52:28 PM »
AAAwww your such a big softie but of the same mind as myself.
Priceless.
tis