Author Topic: Alan Bowden cont from Malay section  (Read 16614 times)

Bowie

Alan Bowden cont from Malay section
« on: January 06, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
Some photos of my Dad who served in Berlin from 7/9/54-11/5/56. He boxed welterweight for the regiment when the Manchesters won the inter Berlin championships. He laso played football for the reg to and played at the Berlin Olympic stadium.

The regiment boxing team that won the championship

back of the photo signed the old man sign it (Just fight"Bowie") I see an officer was on the team

Dad won on points against the Berkshires

Won with TKO rnd 3 against Cheshires

Back of the next two photos says Beat the G Guards won TKO

I can remember him saying once that the event was 5-5 against the ? and the last bout of the evening was the blue riband one of the welterwieght needless to say he did the regiment pround and won his bout giving the championship to the Manchesters.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 02:49:44 PM by Bowie »

Bowie

Re: Alan Bowden cont from Malay section
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »
Last coup[le of the fooball match. All I can remember was I think I was told is was a combined services team against the German Police in front of about 100.000 my dad was inside right.

Berlin Olymic Stadium 54-56?
12th from the left middle row

5th from left

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:26:08 PM »
Excellent photos Bowie.  The officer in the middle of the group is Major John Gardner who was probably responsible for the battalion boxing at that time.  Included on one of the photos - in uniform and holding the challenge cup - is one of our forum members who will probably be able to add a few names.  I will leave that to him!!

Robert
Robert

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »
Great photos Bowie.  If you have not allready found them have a look in the Photos & Postcard Project section.  Go to Photos by Battalion the you will find a section on Germany and another on the Far East.  The Germany ones are from before the Regiment went to Malaya so before your fathers time with the 1st Bn.  You may find some of the Malaya ones of interest though.
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline Robert Bonner

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
The photograph showing our Forum Member with the challenge cup shows the winners of the Berlin Independent Brigade Inter-unit boxing, having just beaten the Grenadier Guards.
L to R: Privates Marsland, Dennison, Sergeant X, Privates Wayman, Petrie and Bowman.
Probably April 1955.

Robert
Robert

Bowie

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
Thanks very much for your replys and I am glad you like the photos, the boxing pics are dated 4/3/55 so not far out with the guess of the date ;D
I am waiting in bated breath to see if the sergeantX can add any recolections. I also remember him telling me he had it pretty easy as the Co like his boxing and they were on extra rations which my dad also passed about to his mates. He also said he was promoted to corpral but missed his pals so he got him self busted for somthing? and he said he was put on jankers. While on it he also was to fight for the Reg and which he was handcuffed to and from. I can remember him asking the red cap or who ever to take them off while he was on a train, cant remember whether he did , or for that matter if the story was embellished with time? I will have a look at the photo thread now. Peter

Offline george.theshed197

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »
Great photos Bowie,
I recognised Major Gardner and the Sgt in 'Blues' holing the Challenge Cup is my old mate 'Yoser ' Roy Hughes formerly of SP Coy, Mortar Platoon, later W.O. II and currently Chairman of the Preston Branch of the Old Comrades Association up at Fulwood Barracks.
Cheers for that,
George.

Offline artyhughes

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
What happy memories you have brought alive,I remember the photograph well and your father also,your dad boxed first string welterweight,which was always the last bout of the tournament,if the tournament was tied it was left to the 1st string welter to decide the outcome and the winning team,the1st string welter was normally the best boxer at that weight and the most skillful,your Dad packed a viscious punch and won most of his bouts on knockouts or technical knockouts(bout stopped to prevent further damage or injury to the opponent)I cannot remember any further names to those already put forward(brain matter is not what it used to be)I look forward to any other photos of your father you manage to get posted.

Bowie

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 04:38:47 PM »
Many thanks for the replies gents. Arty glad you recognised him and I do have more photo in a box I cant put my hands on at present but when I do I will post any interesting ones up.