Author Topic: British hospital Asiago plateau  (Read 1449 times)

Offline woodfox

British hospital Asiago plateau
« on: August 12, 2017, 09:38:39 AM »
This small hospital, also called "ospedaletti inglesi", attests the presence of the British military contingent arrived in November 1917 in order to help the italian ally after Caporetto. Made up of two elements, one for the first aid and the other one for temporary stay in bed of the wounded, waiting for their transfer to the hospitals by the British Red Cross ambulances, this  "first aid" in reinforced concrete was built by one of the two Pioneer battalions that were in the AsiagoPlateau in 1918: the 5th Royal Sussex or the 9 Staffordshires. Just before the S. Sisto first line, along the way that led to the Division Headquarters of Granezza, this small hospital is an example of military and healthcare building in an excellent state, the only one in Italy. It is also testimony of the suffering of millions of wounded young soldiers that the war would have scarred for life   

Offline woodfox

Re: British hospital Asiago plateau
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
This hospital is near Barenthal cemetery

Offline OrsoGrande

• Dum spiro spero - Siempre Hay Esperanza
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 12:22:48 PM »
Excellent photographs Woodfox, thank you for posting. As you may remember from earlier exchanges my maternal Grandfather (31047 Edward Quayle) spent the last year of the war in Italy with the 22nd Manchesters. I always derive great pleasure from learning more about his life and service and those associated facts, figures and photos contained within the forum.  I do know from his records that he was hospitalised elsewhere whilst in Italy and I do not have any evidence or reason to believe that he ever visited the location in your pictures. No matter.Thanks once again.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »
Woodfox,

Thank you once again for the excellent and interesting photographs you have produced for the Forum's information.  I see that the Information Board refers to the Rotary Club organisation of which I am a member.  Regards, PhilipG.

Offline woodfox

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
Excellent photographs Woodfox, thank you for posting. As you may remember from earlier exchanges my maternal Grandfather (31047 Edward Quayle) spent the last year of the war in Italy with the 22nd Manchesters. I always derive great pleasure from learning more about his life and service and those associated facts, figures and photos contained within the forum.  I do know from his records that he was hospitalised elsewhere whilst in Italy and I do not have any evidence or reason to believe that he ever visited the location in your pictures. No matter.Thanks once again.

Dear friend,
It is possible your Grandfather was in this hospital! As far as I know, there were only 2 british hospital in Asiago plateau near the first line, one is this in the photos and the other one was in Bivio boscon.... I will post the photo of the hospital of bivio boscon from a book in the next days....   The 22nd Manchesters fought also in Asiago plateau, so I suggest you to read the book "Asiago" a very interesting book, I attach the cover of the book you can buy on the internet (Amazon).
Link:  https://www.amazon.it/Asiago-Italy-Francis-Mackay/dp/0850527597/ref=sr_1_1?s=english-books&ie=UTF8&qid=1502546265&sr=1-1&keywords=asiago

Offline woodfox

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 03:02:58 PM »
Woodfox,

Thank you once again for the excellent and interesting photographs you have produced for the Forum's information.  I see that the Information Board refers to the Rotary Club organisation of which I am a member.  Regards, PhilipG.

Thank you too!! it is a pleasure for me! Yes, the Rotary club is very active!  :) :)