Author Topic: pte/sgt Ainsworth, 8th btn (Ardwick)  (Read 6970 times)

LarsA

pte/sgt Ainsworth, 8th btn (Ardwick)
« on: November 03, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »
Hello all,
I am a medalcollector from Sweden who has just aquired a group of medals and documents to pte/sgt William Henry Ainsworth, first enlistment in the Loyals, but from midfebruary 1940 until discharge in 1951 service with the Manchesters. His medal entitlement from his service record is 39-45, africa, Italy, defence and war which, along with a leave certificate from 1945, leads me to believe that his service might have been with the 8 battalion. Is that something that is possible to confirm?

Kind regards,
Lars

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: pte/sgt Ainsworth, 8th btn (Ardwick)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 06:11:58 PM »
Hello Lars and a Warm Welcome to The Forum  ;D
from his service record

His service record does not mention a Battalion ?

He maybe mentioned in "The Times" I don't know if you've tried, but it's available online via http://www.galaxy.bedfordshire.gov.uk/cgi-bin/vlib.sh

but you must join the virtual library first

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

LarsA

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 06:44:03 PM »
No, unfortunately no red book with the group, his discharge paper just state "Manchester Regiment" and then there is the leave certificate from nov 1945 that say 8th Btn. There is a paybook, starting late 1944 which is signed by a number of officers, among them a lt Davis. It hasn't reached me yet via the mail, so not sure of other names. A capt and major among them, so perhaps more easily identified.

Many thanks for the link!
/Lars

LarsA

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
Medals and paperwork arrived today, giving the adress as 57 Fairwiew Road, Bacup. Sgt Ainsworth served 1939-51 and 1951-55, the last period with the 4th East Lancs. From 16.10.39 in the Loyals, attested age 20. From 13.2.1940 in the Manchesters, which of course poses the question of him being present at Dunkirk?

He was classified as A1 on 5.4.40, also receiving an ATS vaccine on 8.4.40, would that something done back in UK or abroad in France?

He is noted as Cpl, 8th Manchesters in D Company in june 1944, leave in Naples; L/Sgt in aug 1944, on leave in Rome. An older paybook lists him as receiving payment in Egypt, Syrian and Palestine pounds during 1943 which also fits with 8th btn I guess. WIth the group is two cloth Manchester titles and 5 overseas stripes

Kind regards,
/Lars

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »
Hallo Lars.
The 8th Battalion had already had an influx of 150 soldiers from the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and arrived in France on 27 April 1940 but were destined to stay for only a short time as they left for Malta in early May.  So, when their comrades of 42 Division were in the thick of the fighting in the withdrawal  to Dunkirk, the Ardwick Boys were a thousand miles away.

The first mention of the men of the Loyals joining the battalion is recorded in 'The Ardwick Boys Went to Malta' page 30: 

'In September a draft of 150 men from the Loyal Regiment arrived with five officers to bring the battalion up to war establishment.  With these additional troops it was decided to form a fifth company (E Company) to be available as a mobile reserve.  The Loyals were split between existing companies and the new company was made up by transfers from each existing company so that when the reorganisation was completed each company had a roughly similar proportion of original Ardwicks, Royal Welsh Fusiliers and Loyals........The Loyals quickly settled down and the battalion gained a valuable transfer of keen, tough soldiers who by the end of the war were 100% Manchesters like the rest.'

The Ardwicks left Malta in August 1943; they were then to soldier in Syria, Palestine and Egypt before going on to play an active role in the defeat of the enemy in italy.

Robert

LarsA

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:40:01 PM »
Thank you Robert,
Sorry about my mistake about Dunkirk, I should have seen that three weeks were still to go when they left for Malta when I checked Lieut-Col Joslen's order of battle. A very good book if only one take in what is written...

I am about to order the book, it seems like a "must have" to go with the group.

Kind regards,
Lars

mal

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »
my other half is from bacup and we pass fairveiw rd nearly every day

jdburtt

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:33:22 AM »
Gentlemen:  where can I get a copy of "The Ardwick Boys go to Malta?"

Thanks

john

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 11:07:02 AM »
answer on your other thread!  :D
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."