Author Topic: Point 110 New Military Cemetery, Fricourt : 24th Manchesters.  (Read 3381 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Point 110 New Military Cemetery, Fricourt : 24th Manchesters.
« on: August 07, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »
This cemetery is located some distance from the rear of the British front line trenches - Bois Francais - and beyond Maple Redoubt.  In Row "B" of the cemetery, there are graves of ten soldiers of the 24th Manchesters all kia on the 7th February 1916 and one grave of a soldier, similarly of the 24th Mcrs, who died on the 17th of that month.   They are:-

Privates:  Brierley, Connolly, Dakin, Fothergill, Hardman, James, O'Neil, Schofield, W.Smith and L/Cpl. L.Thorpe.
No. 28133 Pte. A.Higgins died on the 17th February 1916.

Is there any record of the cause of the deaths of the ten soldiers named above?   PhilipG.

sphinx

Re: Point 110 New Military Cemetery, Fricourt : 24th Manchesters.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 10:27:24 PM »
6 were killed by a German projectile nicknamed a "cannister" that dropped into their trench on the 6th, 11 more having been killed on the 7th.

It also included Lt. Murdoch, whose cap badge I am priviledged to own.

regards
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 11:47:16 AM by sphinx »

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 10:41:21 PM »
Philip,
To quote from Cotton Town Comrades:

"Monday morning dawned with snow showers and a leaden sky, but the hours passed queitly until the late afternoon. Once more the Germans launched a short but furious bombardment on the British trenches. The target was not so much the front lines, but once again Maple Redoubt, a few dozen yards behind. Their huge trench mortar cannisters caused considerable damage to the redoubt and then one landed square on a dugout where men of 8 Platoon , B Coy were sheltering. This one shell collapsed the dugout and after other troops had frantically cleared away the supporting timbers a grisly total of 11 mangled remains were recovered. At least ten more fortunate, although wounded, colleagues were rescued and carried to safety."

The book also lists Pte Higgins as being one of the 11 killed in the incident on the 7th.

Charlie

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 10:45:42 PM »
on Monday afternoon of 7th February 1916 while in the support trenches,some men of 8th platoon were getting ready for stand to when a heavy german shell crashed through the roof of their dugout,11 men were killed outright and 8 wounded.

harry hardman and Edmund james were brothers in law

they were all buried that night and the service was carried out by the battalion chaplain the reverend hugh mccalman

mack

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
The casualties incurred on the 6th and 7th were the first fatalities suffered by the Battalion. They had moved into the frontline trenches for the very first time on the 6th. As well as Lt Murdoch the fatalities on the 6th included RSM Gartside and CSM Coop and Ptes Brownhill, Ogden and Thomas. A hefty blow to the Battalion.

The Battalion War Diary confirms that there were no other fatalities between the 7th and 23rd February. I would suggest that the death of Pte Higgins on the 17th has been wrongly recorded by the CWGC.

Charlie

Edit - the CWGC GRR correctly records Pte Higgins' date of death as 7th February.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:03:30 PM by Charlie »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 04:06:41 PM »
Sphinx, Charlie & Mack,

Firstly, thank you to you all for your help in this research; a total of 17 deaths, including an officer and 2 Warrant Officers must have been a tragic blow to the battalion.

Mention of Lt. Murdoch led me to search for his details which indicated that he was buried in Point 110 Old Military Cemetery, Fricourt.  Point 110 "Old" is the cemetery nearest to the Bois Francais trenches.   I found the CWGC photograph of this cemetery enabled me to pick out the individual graves of the men killed on the 6th February 1916:-

Grave J1 Lt. J.T.Murdoch
         J3 Pte Fred Thomson
         J4 Pte J.J.Ogden
         J5 Pte J.H.Brownhill
         J6 CSM E.Coop
         J7 RSM Arnold Gartside        (There does not appear to be a Grave J2 being utilised.)

Returning to Point 110 "New".  It is a pity that the Brothers in Law - 14518 - H.Hardman and 14519 - E.James were not buried closer together, for Hardman is in Grave B15 and James is in Grave B12.    PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 07:22:19 PM »
Philip
Grave J2 is the resting place of an Unknown British Soldier, one of three in the cemetery. Unknowns do not show up when using the search engine on the CWGC site. The unknown was probably buried by the 24th at the same time as RSM Gartside and his comrades. The entry for the 8th February in the WD states that three other soldiers were buried as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 07:43:22 PM by Charlie »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 09:52:58 PM »
Charlie,

Thank you for that information.  The piece about "unknowns" was completely new to me. Thanks again. PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 05:46:51 AM »
the unknown was originally named as pte 17706 alf morrow,he and pte 26107 Patrick Kelly both of the 20th manchesters were killed by a shell on 6th February,i wonder if the other unknown buried next to Garside is pte Kelly,ime puzzled why they decided pte morrow wasn't buried there.

mack

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 08:42:58 AM »
Ptes Kelly and Morrow have named graves in Citadel New Military Cemetery, Fricourt.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 11:55:57 AM »
                         Pte. George O'Neil : 24th Manchesters.

Whilst in this cemetery some time ago, I happened to notice that the surname of this soldier recorded in the cemetery register differed from that engraved on his headstone.  The engraving gave his surname as being O'Niel.

I reported the matter to the CWGC who were pleased to make a suitable correction on the headstone.  I wonder for how many years this error had gone unnoticed?   PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
Philip,
I would think his name had always been engraved incorrectly on his headstone. Both the headstone schedules have his name written as O'Niel athough one has been modified, at sometime, to show the correct spelling. His father's name is also shown as O'Niel.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
Charlie,

Thank you.  Some years ago, I was told by the CWGC that some engraving was carried out by French employees, men not necessarily familiar with the English language.  A case in point.  I found that the headstone in Dantzig Alley British Cemetery in respect of Lieutenant F.S.Brooks of the 20th Manchesters (Kia 1.7.16) was so weather- beaten that it was difficult to read.  In accordance with my usual practice, I visited Brooks' grave the following year.  It had been completely refurbished but, alas, his rank had been misspelt.

Lt. Brooks' name and photograph are depicted in the Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour with his platoon  - No. XlV of "D" coy.

PhilipG.