Author Topic: Recruit Training from 1951  (Read 17850 times)

Offline Robert Bonner

  • sadly no longer with us
  • *
  • Posts: 1,390
Recruit Training from 1951
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »
On 6 December 1951 the regimental depots in Western Command re-opened for training recruits.  Four depots received their first intakes that day, with six more on 2 January and the remainder later on in the month.   All infantry recruits - National Service men and Regulars - were now to start their training at a regimental depot instead of going to a 'group' centre as had been the practice since the end of WWII.  Recruits were now able to put on the badge of their own regiment as soon as they joined and to be trained by their own regiment.

The first depots to re-open were: The Manchester Regiment at Ladysmith Barracks, Ashton under Lyne, The Cheshire Regiment at The Dale, Chester, the East Lancashire Regiment at Fulwood Barracks, Preston and the Welch Regiment at Maindy, Cardiff.

Followed in January by the North Stafford Regiment at Whittington Barracks, Lichfield, the Worcestershire Regiment at Norton, Worcester, the Royal Welch Fusiliers at Wrexham, the King's Own Royal Regiment at Bowerham Barracks, Lancaster, the King's Regiment at Harington Barracks, Formby and the South Lancashire Regiment also at Formby.

That's when we had an army!

Offline george.theshed197

  • sadly no longer with us
  • *
  • Posts: 1,162
Re: Recruit Training from 1951
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »
And so say ;D of us, Thanks for the reminder.

Apai Tuai George.