Author Topic: Ist Manchester Regt 1931-1938  (Read 9290 times)

Looloo

Ist Manchester Regt 1931-1938
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »
Hello everyone!
This is my first post and I'm hoping some-one out there will be able to help me!
I'm trying to find out anything I can regarding my grandfather- William Henry Kenneth Clarke Mitchell. The only information I have is on his marriage certificate dated 7/10/33 stating he was at the time a Private (aged 20) in the 1st Manchester Regt based at New Barracks, Gosport. In 1938 he had left the regiment to work as a labourer in R.N.A. Gosport.
I have been trying to track down his number to be able to request his Attestation and Service records from Glasgow- can anyone help?
Thanks!
Lindsay

sphinx

Re: Ist Manchester Regt 1931-1938
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 05:19:08 PM »
Lindsay,

the enlistment books for that period are held in the Regimental Archives at Tameside Local Studies Library.  All his details will be in there.

Can I suggest you contact them and reguster your interest.
the books are unavailable for a couple of weeks due to copying but they will contact you when they are back.

reagrds

Looloo

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 05:49:44 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll e-mail them today and hopefully I'll receive some info soon.
Do you know if they can send me copies or do I have to go in person?
Thanks,
Lindsay

sphinx

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
Once they are copied it will be easy for them to print it off and send it you for a minimal charge.

Looloo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »
Thanks for all your help!

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »
hiya lindsay
you should be ok with just his marriage certificate.

mack

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »
Hi Lindsay and a Warm Welcome to the Forum  ;D

As mack is implying you should not need his number in order to get his papers.......it would help, but it's not a necessary requirement any more.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Looloo

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to trace his parents and although his marriage certificate does give me his father's name - I can't find him either! The problem is his father was a rifleman in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps so I'm still none the wiser where in the country to start looking! If someone joined the Manchester Regiment does this mean that they would have lived around Manchester when enlisting?
So I thought if I got his enlistment details this would give me his mother's name and then the rest should be easier.
Thanks.
Lindsay

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »
If someone joined the Manchester Regiment does this mean that they would have lived around Manchester when enlisting?

well it's more probable that he did live in the area but it's not a good indicator
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

tisgrannie

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 12:33:33 AM »
This is the W H C Mitchells I could find for the date period.
tisgrannie

Surname  First name(s)  Mother    District  Vol  Page 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1912   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitchell  William H C        Cole       Bedwellty  11a 139   

Births Sep 1914   --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitchell  William H C         Suter     Pontypridd  11a 1463   
Mitchell  William H C         Mogg     Bristol  6a 418   

Births Dec 1914   

Mitchell  William H C         Mitchell    Nottingham  7b 837   

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:40:48 AM by tisgrannie »

Looloo

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »
Hi,
Thanks 'tisgrannie' you for your help.
I have already ordered the one from Nottingham and it's not him. I don't want to waste anymore money until I have a good idea roughly where in the country I should be looking. I thought the regiment's archives could point me in the right direction.
I'll just have to wait and see!
Lindsay

tisgrannie

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »
Hi I will keep browsing. I always give as much info when ordering certs as I can. Then if they are not exact or some of the stuff isn't on then they don't send it. Specify what you expect to be written on there. Though you have no definites have have a long name string. Did they all match when you sent to Manchester.
keep looking
tisgrannie