Author Topic: War records  (Read 5954 times)

woody2

War records
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:47:34 PM »
Hi all,
I am trying to find out info on my Grandad Pte Robert Wood.I have just had his BWM refurbed,polished,new suspension arm and ribbon in a fantastic lidded presentation box by a company called Bigbury Mint in Devon.
I am going to give it back to my dad next week for his birthday,(he knows nothing about it),however we know almost nothing of his career.
On the edge of the medal it has the following-4605 Pte WOOD  MANCH R. He was from Denton and I am almost sure he was in the mob before 1914,I think?? he seved in India.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,especially if I can get my dad more info for his birthday on the 17/02/14.

Here's hoping

Kind regards

John
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:09:53 AM by Wendi »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: War records
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »
hiya woody.
I cant find anything except he was transferred to the king own royal Lancaster regt as 51799.
did he live in denton prewar,do you have anything else that may help in the search,family,address etc.

mack ;D

woody2

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 05:06:03 PM »
Thanks for your reply mack.
He lived most of his life at number 2 Tame st Denton,I'm not sure if this is where he lived at the time of the war but I think so,I don't want to ask my dad 'coz he will twig what I am upto.
Where did you get that info? I don't ever recall my dad mentioning the Kings own!
Any more on his Manchester regt days?

Thanks for your help

woody

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/s/res?_fn=Robert&_ln=Wood&_no=4605&_crp=&_ttl=&_ser=WO+372&_dt=M&_col=online&image1.x=42&image1.y=14

Medal card of Wood, Robert. Corps: Manchester Regiment. Regiment No: 4605. Rank: Private....

War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Medal card of Wood, Robert. Corps Regiment No Rank Manchester Regiment 4605 Private. Royal Lancaster Regiment 51799 Private.

Collection: Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
    Date range: 1914 - 1920
    Reference:WO 372/22/48333
    Subjects:Medals | Armed Forces (General) | Army | Operations, battles and campaigns | Conflict
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

woody2

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 06:59:33 PM »
Thanks.much appreciated.Do I now buy whatever this card shows from the archive?
John

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 08:33:45 PM »
hiya woody
there doesn't seem to be any even numbers on tame st,denton,all the soldiers in my database that lived on that street,lived in even numbered properties,the census is the same,what year was he born,do you know his parents names.

mack ;D

woody2

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »
Mack, definately number 2.dont know his D.O.B.I know his wife was called Minnie, maybe thats short for something?
Thanks

Woody

woody2

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
Hi, I've downloaded the card from the archive.There isn't that much info on it,just a couple of figures that I don't yet understand.
Thanks for your  efforts so far,

WOODY

woody2

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »
Mack.I have spoken to my dad today and strangely enough he has a bit more info than I thought.
My grandad was born in Openshaw on Huddleston st and he served with the 8th Ardwick.After the war he then joined Kings  lancs. My dad has his discharge papers and I will fill a few gaps with that.
Would you be able to tell where and when he served with the 8th Ardwick.?
Regards

Woody

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 05:36:32 PM »
hi woody2, if you give me details on your fathers birth year  and place of birth I might be able to find your grandparents,your grandmother's maiden name should be listed with your dads birth, that will then help find the wedding , if you dont wish for this information to go on the forum you can messaged me,    information on the 8th ardwicks can be found on this link , his medal card tell's use he went over sometime in 1916 or later,
http://www.themanchesters.org/8th%20batt.htm
                                                                  tonyrod   ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:10:30 PM by tonyrod »

woody2

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
Thanks tonyrod.I will see what I can dig up and get back to you.cheers

Woody

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
Hi John,

Hi, I've downloaded the card from the archive.There isn't that much info on it,just a couple of figures that I don't yet understand.
Thanks for your  efforts so far,

WOODY

Let's clarify a couple of things, so far. 

His Medal Index Card, which records his service, once he went overseas, not before, shows that he was in the Manchester Regiment when he left England, under number 4605.  Sometime before the end of the War he was transferred to Royal Lancashire Regiment

WOODY

These figures are The Index to the Rolls, which are the books in which the Medal Awards are recorded.  They will tell you to which Battalion he belonged.  These Rolls are held by The National Archives at Kew.

Hope this helps
Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

woody2

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »
Thanks for your help wendi.

woody

woody2

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 05:19:47 PM »
To all who replied to my call for help. If you recal my first post I said I had my grandads Bwm refurbished by Bigbury mint in Devon, for my dads birthday which was today.anyhow, he phoned today and
was overwhelmed by it, In fact he couldn't believe It!!!!!! my dad was 84 today and I bet he thought of nothing only his old dad.
After the war he worked on the railways until a train ploughed into him and he was unable to walk again and was looked after by my gran, so after all that he went through in the war thats how it ended up.I guess he was just lucky!!!! Talk about s hard life.
Thanks to all who replied.

woody

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 06:17:14 PM »
thanks for telling us woody,glad your dad had a great birthday

mack ;D