Author Topic: Wounded by Stokes Mortar - Charlie W??? !7th Btn.  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Wounded by Stokes Mortar - Charlie W??? !7th Btn.
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
I have these notes from Pt Bell relating to Bombing training, possibly in August 1916.

“The Stokes Mortar is a handy weapon.  A hole in the rear end of it engages with a pin when the mortar slides to the bottom of a tube.  Like the rifle grenade, explosion sends the weapon on its way and there is a truly tremendous bang at the end of the flight.  Charlie W. who lived (still does I hope) in our suburb (Gatley), carries the mark of a premature, besides the other effect of his wounds, to this day.”

John Hartley has kindly provided a list of the troops from B Company undertaking bombing training in (prob.) August and there is no Charlie W.  Yet I am guessing our man may be C F Wright 8954 VIII Platoon.  I only have sporadic (library) access to ancestry to see if C F Wright lived in Gatley, but will try next week.  Does anyone else have a record of injury from Stokes Mortars or any more info. on Pt C F Wright?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:51:38 PM by Tim Bell »
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Wounded by Stokes Mortar - Charlie W??? !7th Btn.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »
hiya tim.
men in stokes mortar sections wouldnt be on bombing courses,why would mr hartley give you a list of bombers from B.coy,when your enquiry is about the stokes mortar section ???

8954 c.f wright doesnt appear to have served overseas,theres no medal card for him.

mack ;D

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 08:21:04 AM »
Hi Mack,

It is a bomber that reported the injury and I assumed he had witnessed the incident hands on, but my logic and assumptions are often fragile.  John had sent the list for entirely different reasons.

If Stokes Mortar sections are different, do we have information on 17th Battalion members?  Is there another Charlie W out there...

Tim

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
hiya tim
the stokes mortar battery personell were drawn from all four infantry battalions of the brigade they were in,they came under brigade control,not battalion level,and were numbered the same as the brigade,in this case the 90th light trench mortar battery.

with regard to the bombers,each company had its own bombing section and battalion HQ would have a section as well

mack ;D

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
Thanks

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:29:41 AM »
Mack,

The tip on medals is useful.

The medal records have only one Charles W. serving in the Manchester Regiment as Corporal Charles H. C. Wroe, who went on to be WO2 in WW2. He has a strange number 45000 and didn't receive the 1914-15 Star.  Was he an addition after the July assaults?

I'm not sure how comprehensive the medal records are, but assume most men that came home from France will have been recognised, along with some (but not all) that didn't.  Is this right?

Thanks again.

Tim