Author Topic: Captain Thomas Cartman  (Read 17214 times)

Offline Mark Hone

Captain Thomas Cartman
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »
As some of you no doubt saw on 'North West Tonight', the wartime journal of Captain Thomas Cartman MC, 17th Manchesters, has recently been rescued from a skip in Blackpool. He was an old boy of Bury Grammar School, winning his MC at Arras in 1917. He was re-commissioned in 1940 at the age of 47 and died in the sinking of the 'Arandora Star' which was taking POWs and Italian internees to Canada. I already know a lot about him and am in contact with two of his descendants. I am hoping to see the journal tomorrow and will report back on its contents.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Captain Thomas Cartman
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »
How exciting Mark!  look forward to the update, particularly for those of us who are not in the North West. 

Are the descendents interested in seeing it?

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »
hi mark. I missed it last night, could you bring me up to date on where and when the book was found, I live in Blackpool and I have not heard a thing,  cheers Tonyrod

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
tony google North West Tonight last night's episode is available for a few more hours on iplayer, it's the last item

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
cheers Wendi, just looked in, should be interesting when its all put together, a good few memorials are around for the SS Arandora Star, due to bodies being washed ashore  in different places.

Offline Mark Hone

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
Three generations of Tom Cartman's family: his daughter, grand-daughter and great-grand-daughter visited the Primary School in Ramsbottom to see the scrapbook yesterday and meet the boy whose father found it. It was filmed by the BBC and appeared on the regional news bulletins, but unfortunately not the main 'Northwest Tonight' programme as they had a special Christmas edition on last night. I was there to explain some of the photographs and the circumstances of his MC at Cherisy on 23rd April 1917. We think that the book ended up in Blackpool with his brother (also a Bury Grammar School old boy), who was a dentist in Fleetwood. It was an amazing coincidence that it was discovered by a chap from Bury working in Blackpool and relates to a Bury soldier.
The family would ideally like to see the scrapbook go to an appropriate museum. I shall approach the Museum of the Manchesters. It does need conservation as it has suffered damage from damp etc. It is a very interesting document, not least because Tom Cartman was careful to record the names of most of the people in his photographs.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:59:54 PM by Mark Hone »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 04:57:26 PM »
This kind of thing always gives me goose pimples! also much sadness that his daughter should have grown up without a father.  She must be rather elderly herself now.

Well even if the Museum take the book and can not afford conservation, just by being in the Museum, it is better conserved, rather than a skip!

Wendi  :)

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 08:28:01 PM »
I don't think that there is any doubt that the Archives of the Manchester Regiment, not the museum, would be absolutely thrilled if the scrapbook is offered to the Regiment. It will then be preserved and looked after for the benefit of future generations.  I suggest that Mark should obtain the families permission and then speak to Larysa Bolton, the archivist, at the archives.
That is the proper place for material such as this.
Robert

Offline Mark Hone

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »
I have the permission of the family and the discoverer of the scrapbook to look into finding a permanent home. I shall contact the Archive in the New Year.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 04:11:55 PM »
Excellent.  That's great news. We all look forward to hearing how you get on.
Robert

Offline Mark Hone

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 08:51:20 AM »
After a bit of a delay, a digital copy of the scrapbook is currently being made by the company who are digitizing our school magazines and other historic documents. When this is complete I shall arrange transfer of the original to the Regimental archive as agreed with the family. I shall report further progress.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:54:39 AM by Mark Hone »

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »
Hi Mark,

We're looking forward to seeing more of the digitised images.  In the interim, I thought I should post a mention of 2nd Lt. Cartman in charge of the Battalion dump on 12th October 1916.  He was one of the few officers to leave Flers unscathed.

Extract courtesy of Kingo

Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline Mark Hone

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
I apologise for the inordinate delay in posting images. The initial digital scanning of the book was not completely satisfactory and some of it is being redone. 

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 12:13:14 AM »
Mark, sorry but maybe it's my eyes but I can't read that. I would use Jpeg images generally on forums

looking forward to seeing them

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »
Chris,
It was me that posted the tiny image and I couldn't work out what was wrong.  I lifted it from Kingo's post http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=6990.msg45220#msg45220

Your eyes will be fine with that one!

Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/