Author Topic: Photo Archive at Thameside  (Read 4242 times)

John W

Photo Archive at Thameside
« on: July 10, 2011, 06:10:31 PM »
I have been waiting patiently for Thameside Archives to finish processing their photographs since visiting them two years ago and trawling through their original documents.

I spoke to them in March and they told me that the original photographs would not be accessible to the public, and that I would have to buy a copy for �8.00. I have no qualms about paying �8.00 but the trouble is that the sample images on the website that you order from are so bad that I cannot see if my great grandfather is on them or not.

Can anyone assist with this, have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Many thanks,

John

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:08:13 PM by Charlie »

sphinx

Re: Photo Archive at Thameside
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
John,

I dont know how you can say the images are "so bad"?

They are superb!!!

Tameside Local Studies is in the process of having all the Regimental Archive photographs digitalised so people all over the world can view them.

The quality is second to none and if you wish to view evertone to see if your grandfather is on them you will be there some time as there are many, many thousands of them.

They havent even started on the albums yet!

regards

timberman

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
Hi John
Not sure if this is what your after.
I put the link to the The Manchester Regiment Image Archive in our link section on the 11/11/2010

It's here

http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=5305.0

Cheers
Timberman

John W

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:26:12 PM »
John,

I dont know how you can say the images are "so bad"?

The quality is second to none and if you wish to view evertone to see if your grandfather is on them you will be there some time as there are many, many thousands of them.

Quite simple really - if you look at any pictures of a group of 10 or more, say a company photograph then the faces are barely bigger than pinheads - how are you supposed to decide whether to buy the image or not? The images you receive may be superb quality but that is of little use if the photograph doesn't have on it what you are looking for - this would be far easier sitting in the archives with a magnifying glass as you are able to do with the documents.

I am not looking randomly through thousands of photographs either - I know exactly what I am looking for.

Timberman thank you for your help - that is indeed the archive but you will see what I mean about the size of the pics. There are several at Secunderabad in 1908 that I would like to examine closely but it is impossible to see any individual given the minute detail.

sphinx

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
John,

You are not being realistic in expecting the photos to be of such an enormous size that you can pick out an individuals facial features on a group photograph.  That is not going to happen on any internet site.

The reason they have been copied iand available to view on line is to open the collection up to the wider public and prevent theft and damage of the originals.

I am confused now as first you said the images were "so bad" but now you are saying that they may be of "superb quality".  Which is it?

If there are several at Secunderbad you would like to examine more closely, why dont you ask the archivist if you could view just those few, examine them with a glass whilst in clear envelopes and see what response you get?

regards

John W

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 11:24:30 PM »
John,

You are not being realistic in expecting the photos to be of such an enormous size that you can pick out an individuals facial features on a group photograph.  That is not going to happen on any internet site.

The reason they have been copied iand available to view on line is to open the collection up to the wider public and prevent theft and damage of the originals.

I am confused now as first you said the images were "so bad" but now you are saying that they may be of "superb quality".  Which is it?

If there are several at Secunderbad you would like to examine more closely, why dont you ask the archivist if you could view just those few, examine them with a glass whilst in clear envelopes and see what response you get?

regards

The images on the website are 'so bad' but the ones you receive are of a superb quality, obviously I did not make it plain enough even though I was quoting you. The images could easily be made big enough to see and then made impossible to download which other sites do easily enough. The Secunderabad photos comprise a few of the ones that I would like to see more closely. Anyway the point of my original post was to determine why you can handle original documents but not photos - it does not make sense. Thanks for your original idea about asking the archivist by the way - I'd not thought of that  ::)

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:10:19 PM by Charlie »