Author Topic: Hello  (Read 16701 times)

rstlevas

Re: Hello
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
He looks a little older on this one and his cap badge is clearly recognisable.

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »
So it seems that it is back to the drawing board again !!! Hey ho and all that jazz.
George.

ArtPatBurk

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 10:42:54 AM »
With wearing the Y flash of 5th Division I assume that, as an individual soldier, he was attached to a unit of that Division.  The Manchesters never served in 5 Div.  As Mack points out, in Wuppertal the 1st Battalion were a part of 2 Div.

The photos in the  open country could possibly be Wuppertal.  Our barracks were located well away from the industrial area - on top of a hill on the outskirts of the town with vast areas of farmland behind and in easy access. Although Goslar is also a possibility I think it is doubtful as it is in the centre of the Harz mountains  -  and there isn't a hill in sight in the photo.

In Wuppertal all the married quarters were all in houses or flats requisitioned from the German owners. This meant that families were all over the place, not in the tidy regimented quarters that exist today.  Happy days!!

Robert
Hi,
Goslar is at the foot of the Harz and has a lot of flat land on 3 sdes
Radley

rstlevas

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2012, 07:19:59 PM »
Well at last we have my dad's war records. He joined the 7th Manchesters.

Since my last post we have found this photo of my dad on horseback. If anyone can shed any light
as to whereabouts etc. I would be most grateful

Best rgds

Steve

Offline sphinx

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
Steve,

Your Dad would have had an interesting war in the reformed 7th (TA) Battalion.

They went to Europe after D day and took part in the attacks at Walcheren &Flushing, riding in Buffalo's and then on into Germany.

After it was disbanded after the war he appears to have transferred to the 1st B.

You will have to do a precis on your Dads service from his records.

regards

rstlevas

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
Dear sphinx

It will be my pleasure.

Steve

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »
Bit late as for some reason I missed the posting of the crashed aircraft and the early uniform one and only found them when looking at a later post.
The Uniform is of the Air Defence Cadet Force the forerunner of the Air Training Corps now frequently only refered to as Air Cadets.  The 70 is for 70 Squadron ADCC Croft & Culcheth which i believe is just into Cheshire not far from Warrington.  If you Google ADCC you will find some of the history of the ADCC. I found the attached photo of someone in the full uniform.

The aircraft is a ME109 not part of a bomber as you can see the tail sticking up and the variable wing leading edge confirms the aircraft type.
Hope this helps.
Cliff  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:08:57 PM by rafboy »
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline sphinx

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »
Just to put you all out of your misery..

The Khaki military uniform (not blue)  is that belonging to a 17 - 20 year old youth who wished to join the army but wasnt upto the physical standard.

He was therefore sent to the 70th Army Physical Development Centre to build him up, in order to pass out  with A1 fitness.

There were several such centres around the UK in WW2 for that sole purpose.  I know of ones at Shropshire and Surrey.

regards

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »
sphinx, which Khaki miltary uniform are you refering to?
If you are refering to the uniform with the 70 on the shoulder that one is the ADCC uniform.  Open the photo up and enlarge it slightly and you can see the wings on the buttons and the edge of the badge on his arm as you can in the photo I posted.  Badges and buttons of the ADCC are here: http://www.britairforce.com/adcc_1.htm
Cliff

Offline sphinx

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2012, 07:58:54 AM »
Cliff,

Yes the uniform of the young man with 70 on his shoulders.
I thought we had ruled out any possibility of him being in the North West of England?

You are correct in that it could be ADCC with chrome numerals but it contradicts the family history.

I am unsure now ???

regards

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »
I have just corrected the details of the crashed aircraft below and added 2 photos, the variable wing leading edge confirms the aircraft type as a ME109.
Cliff
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:09:36 PM by rafboy »