Author Topic: Hello  (Read 16685 times)

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »
Yes I had considered that possibility ;D ;D ;D either that or night exercise!!
George.

rstlevas

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »
Clearly still on light duties (groan, groan)

Glad to hear I am not boring you, there are several more photos of a similar nature.

rstlevas

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »
Not my dad but it gives you another view of the surrounding countryside.

Offline artyhughes

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 09:32:32 PM »
if the soldier on the right was a couple of inches smaller,he and your dad could pass off as twins.

I have scrutinised the photos there are a few points I would draw your attention to.
1 At Wuppertal in 1948 the formation sign was the cross keys 2 Div
2 ORs were not permitted to wear shoes going out,boots leather and web anklets
3 Ties were permitted in Berlin and shoes were allowed to be worn
4 The dark blue beret replaced the Khaki beret in Berlin
5 I think the photographs relate to Goslar.
mack ;D

Hi Mack

You are right !!! They look so alike.

Cheers

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »
Sorry Mack,
Wearing of shoes out of barracks by OR's was permitted from about 1946, ties from about the same time (even before the 'faced lapels' - a fad developed of bleaching the internal canvas button-hole strips with toothpaste in some commands). The Border Regiment left the European theatre about August/Sept 1946 for a pause in Italy (Sesana & Trieste) then off to Egypt enroute to Palestine by Dec. 1946 and I can well remember wearing such dress when off duty or walking out in such places as Hann Munden, Ochtrup. Wilhelmshaven & Dortmund well prior to that  so I will now have to delve into my antiquarian box of photographs ( pre Manchester Rgiment)to support my argument, bear with me.
George.

PS I agree that some of these later photographs as I did say earlier could very well be in Goslar which was in 1947, the 1st Bn then returned to the UK for amalgamation with the 2nd Bn at Dunham Park 1948 and then moved back out to Wuppertal in later that year.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »
With wearing the Y flash of 5th Division I assume that, as an individual soldier, he was attached to a unit of that Division.  The Manchesters never served in 5 Div.  As Mack points out, in Wuppertal the 1st Battalion were a part of 2 Div.

The photos in the  open country could possibly be Wuppertal.  Our barracks were located well away from the industrial area - on top of a hill on the outskirts of the town with vast areas of farmland behind and in easy access. Although Goslar is also a possibility I think it is doubtful as it is in the centre of the Harz mountains  -  and there isn't a hill in sight in the photo.

In Wuppertal all the married quarters were all in houses or flats requisitioned from the German owners. This meant that families were all over the place, not in the tidy regimented quarters that exist today.  Happy days!!

Robert
Robert

Offline sphinx

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 03:24:02 PM »
Dear all,

Actually the 1st Bn were, according to my records, part of the 5th Infantry Division from November 1945 whilst in Germany.

The second pattern 5th Divisional sign being worn was introduced in 1946.

Therefore these photos must be taken in 1946 or 1947.

I will let the members who were actually there decide where from the scenery.

regards

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 05:52:51 PM »
Thanks for that Bob and Co,
I can well remember the late Dave Williams yarning about the Goslar days and  to be honest I was struggling to remember what Div sign we did wear in Wuppertal as I was only there for a month or so prior to the move up to Berlin so never really got into the Wupper swing or out into the countryside; I remember the hill alright and have vague memories of the Barracks and a fantastic Christmas concert. I was in the unfortunate position of being a newbie from another regiment trying to make up new friendships and struggling to fit in as were so many other newbies, however, eventually all was OK.
An interesting exchange of information and ideas based on a few photographs and their contents but we are still non the wiser re the actual location. Hey Ho!!!
George.

rstlevas

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »
A merry Christmas to you all.

After further examination, my sister has read " Goslar 1947 " in handwriting (not our father's)
on the back of one of the photographs.

I will put another on another photograph in the coming days.

Best regds
Steve

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
Confirmation at last - thank you for that.
All the best for 2011,
 looking forward to more photos ( hopefully without a puzzle ;D)
George.

rstlevas

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
Some of the photos my father had in wallet came as a surprise as they were never shown within the family.
This is one such photo, once again it is a mystery to us, sorry .... ???

rstlevas

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »
This one is another mystery ................. he looks so young and the uniform is out of my understanding.

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 06:59:29 PM »
Hi again,
The aircraft remains are a mystery indeed, possibly one of the engines off one of our bombers they shot down.
The other one reminds me of the old Air Training Corps uniform -where was 70 ATC Squadron based? Will see what Google has to offer.
George.

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
Back again,
70 Squadron ATC was based in the Croft and Culcheth area - which if my memory serves me right is between St Helens and Warrington or somewhere around that area. Does that ring any bells as to where your father lived as a teenager?
George.

rstlevas

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »
My father was born in Islington in 1923, when he was 4 years old his family moved to Bagby near Thirsk. (Army connections for my grand father).

They moved to Bradford in the West Riding of Yorkshire, whilst he was in his teen years.
He told us that us that he was an apprentice upholsterer in Bradford when he was called up.

Culcheth is well off the beaten track, so I don't quite know how to relate the two. Yet.