Author Topic: Pte Arthur BATLEY 2nd Manchester Reg. Missing In Action 2 Nov 1918  (Read 3281 times)

Offline confusia

We've been trying to find out any details on Arthur Batley. We note the missing in action date of 2 Nov 1918 was 2 days before the death of Wilfred Owen and wondered if it was a related action.

Details:  302174 2nd Manchester Regiment, A Coy

There is a picture of him on following link:

http://burnleyinthegreatwar.info/burnleyrollofhonourmenb/batleyarthur302174.htm

skypilot

Re: Pte Arthur BATLEY 2nd Manchester Reg. Missing In Action 2 Nov 1918
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
He had previous service in the East Lancs Regt as Pte 5170; he also had an earlier Manchester Regt number, 5933.

His medal entitlement was the British War Medal and Victory medal (and his NoK would have received the memorial plaque and scroll). Both SDGW & CWGC show his date of death as 2.10.1918, rather than November.

He was the son of Walter & Frances E Batley, 149 Branch Road, Burnley and was 20 when he was killed. He has no  known grave and is remembered on Panel 9 of the Vis-En-Artois Memorial, Pas de Calais. Vis-en-Artois and Haucourt are villages on the straight main road from Arras to Cambrai about 10 kilometres south-east of Arras. The Memorial is the back drop to the Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery, which is west of Haucourt on the north side of the main road.

Curiously I can find no trace of the family on the 1901 or 1891 census' although the 1911 census shows that they are living in Burnley. Walter (53) was a joiner journeyman, Frances (59, actually Elizabeth Frances) a dressmaker, his brother Joseph Percival (26) a cotton weaver and himself learning weaving. His father and brother were born in Yorkshire, his mother in Cumberland. Arthur himself was a Burnley lad born and bred.

Sources:
Medal Index Card
Soldiers Died In The Great War (SDGW)
Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC)
1911 Census

Hope that helps.....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 10:23:23 AM by skypilot »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »
Hi Both !

They are on the 1901 Census RG13; Piece: 3870; Folio: 23; Page: 37.

Walter Batley     41 Joiner Carp. b. Claxton
Elizabeth Batley    45 Dressmaker b. Whitehaven, Cumb.
Laura Batley    18 Cotton Winder b. Manchester
Percival Batley    16 ditto b. West Claydon
Cathline Batley    10 b. Padock *
Arthur Batley    3 b. Burnley
*most lightly birth Kathleen Blanche Batley 3rd Qtr. 1890

And after a bit of a search  ::) the 1891 at 106 New Street, Huddersfield
Census RG12; Piece: 3568; Folio 46; Page 14;

Elizabeth F Batley 36 Dressmaker b. Whitehaven
Laura Batley    8 Scholar b. Manchester
Josh P Batley    6 Scholar b. Clayton West
Kathleen Batley    9/12 Huddersfield

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

skypilot

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
Well done Wendi. I have to confess that once I'd located them on the 1911, i forgot to go back and recheck the '01 & '91! :-[

Offline confusia

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »
Thank you from my husband for all the info.  Good to know about the previous military career, death date and medals.  Did not have the Huddersfield address either.

Have previous family history back to 1734, if anyone wants to know.   Many joiners in the family.

His brother Joseph Percival Batley (1891 census) served in the Navy, ship probably HMS Titania though mis-spelt on Burnley site.

skypilot

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:47:22 PM »
Thank you from my husband for all the info.  Good to know about the previous military career, death date and medals.  Did not have the Huddersfield address either.

Have previous family history back to 1734, if anyone wants to know.   Many joiners in the family.

His brother Joseph Percival Batley (1891 census) served in the Navy, ship probably HMS Titania though mis-spelt on Burnley site.

Not a problem - glad to help.

Joseph Percival Batley did indeed join the Royal Navy although his date of birth is given as 15.11.1884 so a bit young in 1891 I would have thought? You can download his service papers here for £3.50: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7186694&queryType=1&resultcount=1

That should give you a full run down of his service.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
 8) Well done All !!!

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline confusia

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »
Thanks again Skypilot Lots of interesting stuff in there
One ship in particular HMS Vulcan looks absolutely fascinating in its own right
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/vulcan.htm
Confirms HMS Titania not Tatanin as on Burnley Roll of Honour