Author Topic: Old Contemptables  (Read 8270 times)

dorothym

Old Contemptables
« on: October 28, 2007, 10:30:12 AM »
Hi
My grandfather, Harry Kershaw Haigh, was a reservist when WW1 started. His medal card is dated 9 November 1914. Does this mean that he was an Old Contemptable.
As I have read it, anyone who was with the Regular Army or a reservist before the 22 November 1914, was entitled to the name.

I read on a previous listing that one man proudly wore his Old Contemptable medal. What is that please.

Regards
Dorothym

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
Re: Old Contemptables
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
Can you tell us which Battalion he was in 1st or 2nd or post the Medal index card on here.

dorothym

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »
I have attached the medal card and hope it can be read OK. He was in the 1st. Battallion.

Also apologies for the incorrect spelling of Contemptibles.

Dorothym
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:44:46 PM by timberman »

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 04:42:03 PM »
the short answer is yes  ;D

The Kaiser, upon hearing that German forces were being held up in France while en route to the French capital, is said to have exclaimed his exasperation of "Sir John French's contemptible little army"

he was entitled to the 1914 Star    Which was for service under fire in France and Belgium, 5 August-22 November 1914.

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:55:16 PM »
He started  with the 1st Battalion 7499 Pte H.Haigh At some point he was promoted to Sgt and moved to the 21st Battalion Manchester Regiment.

The 1914 Star should have 7499 Pte H.Haigh 1st Bn Manch Regt, on it.

The British War Medal & Victory Medal should have 7499 Sgt H.Haigh Manch Regt on them.

dorothym

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:38:59 PM »
Thanks for the excellent replies and I shall have to check his medals again. I hadn't thought to look if it says serjeant on them. He did get the Mons Star ad I will also check that.

His recommendation for serjeant came just before he was injured in January 1917 and sent to hospital in Scotland and then he became a training instructor. He died in 1943.
Yes, he was in the 21st. Battalion when he was injured.

I mentioned in a previous posting that some letters sent to him whilst he was in Scotland can be seen in the People section of the web site www.todmordenandwalsden.co.uk under Harry K Haigh whch is near to the bottom of the page.
They contain mention of other names and what happened to various people on the day of that attack and are well worth a read.

Many thanks
Dorothy

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:08:58 PM »
My Sister ran the Summit Pub,Littleborough, for a long time,(before this she had the Queens Pub in Littleborough) I use to walk from Bacup( the wifes mum lives in Bacup) over the hills to get a drink in her pub.  ;)

dorothym

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 08:18:38 PM »
It's a small world! I know both pubs well. It's bit of a trek from Bacup to Littleborough for a pint.
Dorothym