Author Topic: BOER War and the RAMC  (Read 11405 times)

M/C P

BOER War and the RAMC
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:32:05 AM »
I am looking for Christopher Toole born 25 Dec 1882, Manchester, he served in WWI, but he was listed in the Census of 1901, in training in Hampshire for the RAMC.

As the War had not finished in 1901 I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the RAMC served in the BOER War, as trained hospital units etc and also if there are any records that can confirm if Christopher served in this War as well? I know that there are boxes of Records in the Archives for the fighting units but non are indexed, and in any case I would need a researcher to sift through them. I have checked the Asplin pages on the Web. Also some hospital shipping.

Any advice would be appreciated please.

Thank you

Pat

ladysmith

Re: BOER War and the RAMC
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »
Hi Pat - The RAMC certainly did serve in the Boer War, from beginning to end and in all areas. The first check should be in the Queens South Africa Medal roll at the National Archives in Kew. The RAMC are in sub-series WO 100/219 to 225. This will show his medal and clasps entitlement. It would then be worth checking the WO 97 series for his service papers. About 70% of the papers of soldiers who survived the war are there. If you can't get to Kew easily, as you've checked Kevin Asplin's website ask him to check for you. He does my research for me and he's efficient and reasonably priced.

Regards, David

Offline wombat

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:07:41 PM »
Hello Pat,

There are 9 R.A.M.C. names on the VB plaque (Boer War), but none are your chap.

The St. John Ambulance Volunteers went to south Africa for 6 months.  Some of these men then chose to stay on, or return for further service with the R.A.M.C.  These men were given a 5 digit number to identify them.

The R.A.M.C. offered them better conditions, and higher pay, if they would sign on for 12 months or for the duration of the war.  If the war ended before their 12 months was up, they had the option to stay until the end of their service. (goodness knows what "Better Conditions" meant!)

Wombat.
WANTED: Any information or photographs of members of the Oldham Corps, SJAB Boer War.

M/C P

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 04:27:58 AM »
Dear David and Wombat

Thank you so much for your expert advice, it is not possible for me to go to KEW but I will have another look at the Asplin website first I did not see any reference to the R.A.M.C men when I looked but possibly he holds them or will look his record up for me. I will also enter the references you gave me at the NA to see how they record these. They are quite good at supplying copies of documents but I do not know if this would apply to the BOER War. I can try!

Thank you Wombat for checking the VB plaque. What is that? and when you tell me there are 9 names for the R.A.M.C. what area would that be for? The soldiers numbers are not on the census of 1901, that would have been really helpful, but I will remember about the St John Ambulance and their service, and five digit numbers. My knowledge is very limited, so it is good to learn anything about the men that did not bear arms in this War.

I would say that the inducements to sign on for longer periods is a custom the Army has always used, especially when my bros. did their National Service!

Thank you both,

Kind regards,
Pat

ladysmith

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 04:14:25 PM »
Hi Pat - Unfortunately the QSA medal rolls and the service papers aren't online at Kew (yet!?). Your best, and probably only bet, is to have Kevin Asplin or another researcher dig them out for you.

Regards, David

M/C P

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 04:43:03 AM »
That's a shame! but as you say I do have Kevin Asplin.

Many thanks, David,

Kind regards,

Pat

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

tisgrannie

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:31:50 PM »
Thanks for another peek at Granddads name harribob. Must get down to the Ardwick barracks. Is it open to the public?
Hope Iain's book is coming on well. Look forward to buying it!
best wishes
tisgarnnie

M/C P

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 02:51:27 AM »
Thank you so much, that must be the VB Plaque. Looks very well cared for and is such a good resource for anyone looking for men in Manchester. I think mine was probably in the Regulars and I will look for hime there.
But thank you again,
Kind regards
Pat

M/C P

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:53:49 AM »
I have now got 4 pages of service papers that have very little information but all relevant and helpful except this and I was wondering if anyone can decipher it for me PLEASE.

Question was do you belong to the Army, the Marines the Militia etc answer:'Yes Manchester COS VMS Corps'

His notice was served by Major Dugdale VMS Corps. He was entitled to the QSA and would have been awarded two clasps for 1901 and 1902. Unfortunately he was not in the Manchester Regiment ( he was RAMC) and I will try and find out if the clasps specify where he was stationed later.

Could anyone tell me what COS VMS means please.

Thank you
PMK

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 02:46:20 PM »
Possibly 'Manchester Companies Volunteer Medical Service'.
Robert

M/C P

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 03:18:36 AM »
Thanks Robert, that makes some sense now and in a way helps me with a later soldier WW1 in the RAMC ( his cousin) that so far has eluded me and still does in a way as I have no service papers and even the AVR does not help as I cannot tie an event or a relative down to the address given!

Christopher was only 18 and 2 months when he signed up for the BOER War, he added two years to his stated age on the Attestation and consequently it has taken me a long time to positively identify him but he is almost there now except for knowing where he was stationed so in another few years perhaps I can come back and tell you and all the others here that have helped me more than they know that his story is now closed!

Thanks again Robert

Kindest Regards,
Pat

M/C P

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 12:33:14 AM »
Two Clasps issued 1901 for Cape Colony and Orange Free State just in case anyone is interested apart from me and family that is. Thanks again for all your advice.
Pat