Author Topic: 17th battalion C Company Platoon 9  (Read 4885 times)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
17th battalion C Company Platoon 9
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »
photo and list
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline All Together Now

Re: 17th battalion C Company Platoon 9
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 04:07:18 PM »
Hi, i've just signed up to the forum as I am trying to find out more about Walter Beasley (8434). I can see his name mentioned on the list above, but is it possible to identify which one would be him?

Thanks

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 04:16:31 PM »
Pte 8434 Walter Beasley. Enlisted 3/9/1914 IX Pln aged 25y 11m. France 8/11/1915. Unpaid L/Cpl 2/7/1916.   Range Finder. Wounded 30/7/1916 Guillemont & Missing reported 1/9/1916.  Death Assumed 17/8/1917.   Commemorated Thiepval Memorial. Soldiers Effects & SDGW suggests 18th Bttn. Clerk Tootal Broadhurst, Lee & Co born Hulme 1889. Fa John Henry received Medals, Mo Mary Ellen, Sis Mrs G Earley. Bro Norman. 16 Fernleaf Street, Moss Side. Later 4 Monton Street, Moss Side. MEN 13/09/1916 confirms Missing.

17th Battalion History records events for Pte Beasley on  the afternoon of 1/7/1916 in Montauban:-
"No 9 Platoon was taken over by Sgt Smith. "C" Company's postion, after being harassed by snipers, ultimately became the mark of the German artillery, with disastrous results.  The dug-out with the reserve platoon was first hit, and a runner reporting that is was badly shaken and it did not look safe, received orders that the platoon was to come out into the fir trench.  Before he got back, however, the dug-out was again hit and the roof smashed in. Fortunately the NCOs got out a number of the men, and a few more were able to extricate themselves from the wreckage, among these being Glennie, one of the signallers, who though badly burned about the face and eyes went back to look for the other operator.  A party of Engineers was sent up, but only a runner, Private Beasley, was eventually dug out."

For more details of 17th Bttn see the history here http://themanchesters.org/17th%20batt.htm

I wonder if Range Finder may relate to attachment to 90 Trench Mortar Battery, which may explain a possible reference to 18th Bttn.  He may also have been attached.

Welcome to the forum
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 12:59:33 PM by Tim Bell »
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline All Together Now

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 05:43:36 PM »
Thanks a lot for the reply Tim, and it's great you found that mention of Walter on the 1st July 1916. I'm sure this will also be of interest to my brother in law.

I assume there is no easy way of identifying him in the picture? (I don't know what he looks like)

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 06:39:31 PM »
Always a pleasure helping another 17th Bttn relative.
There’s no way of identifying most men in the Pln images unless we have other photos & it’s difficult with them.  I’m not aware of a press photo of Walter sadly.
Tim
Ps a name would be good. Unless you’re called Now  :)

Offline All Together Now

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
Thanks Tim.

My own family are mostly linked to the 55th West Lancashire Division as they are from Liverpool. But I have grown up and live in Manchester so it's good to be able to do some research about a Manchester Soldier. I was reading back on my notes the other day and it looks like the 55th West Lancashire Division arrived in Guillemont on 30th July, the day Walter Beasley died.

I went over to France and Belgium last year in March and was considering going to see the memorial in Montauban with me having a link to both Liverpool and Manchester and seeing the Pals mentioned but I didn't manage to get there. I went to Beaumont Hamel and Givenchy-les-La-Bassee.

I intend to go over again at some point so will definitely add Montauban to the itinerary next time.

Greg

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »
a range finder was responsible for setting the range for the machine guns

mack

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »
a range finder was responsible for setting the range for the machine guns

mack
I wonder if Walter was treated for wounds after being buried in the dug-out and then attacehd to a 18th Bttn Lewis Gun Section when he returned.  Guess work really.