Author Topic: George Duffey 4124734  (Read 11591 times)

Duffey

Re: George Duffey 4124734
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
Thanks George. Very Interesting. Looks like the medals have been attached to a piece of card and a large home made safety pin. Is this how they would have been worn, as I see on ebay several with the large home made style safety pin. Do you think it would be a good idea to get them polished and mounted in the correct order, also if I could find some kind of display box for them. Would I mount them in the same way or is there another way to mount them?

Looking on the rim of the General Service Medal, (something I would have not noticed if you would have not mentioned, so thank you) it says 4124734 PTE. G. DUFFY. LOYAL. R. From a quick search this looks like it was the The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. Of course his service records I hope will confirm this, but just can't help but to speculate. Again a mis-spelling of the surname. and PTE stands for Private?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:50:40 AM by Duffey »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 08:50:19 AM »
Hi Simon !

DON'T try to clean them without some thorough research on "how to" and even then I think the research will lead you to the "don't" conclusion  :D

We have a couple of collectors on the forum, you may wish to start a new thread asking their advice  ???

I'll let George comment on the rest of your post.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Duffey

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »
Ok Wendi. Probably good advice, thanks  :)

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
So Simon,
Glad to have been of assistance in your searchings - you now know that somewhere between 1936 and 1939 your grandfather served in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment in Palestine, his service records will give you further information. Glad to hear that you are taking Wendi's advice re 'cleaning them up' - having been neglected for so long that will be quite a coating of silver oxide on the GSM which I would imagine will require expert treatment to avoid damaging the surface of the medal (it is made of silver!!) - Brasso or Duraglit on the stars would remove the gilt coating on them and leave them in a very 'tatty' condition.
For your interest the HQ of the Loyals used to be Fulwood Barracks, Preston - nowadays they are part of the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, it might be worth your while contacting the RHQ offices at Fulwood and see what other details they might have for you, or you could Google online
Being a Regular soldier prior to WWII gave him a headstart on the promotion ladder especially after Dunkirk when so many regulars etc were taken prisoner but you will find all that listed in his records.
If you require and further information - don't hesitate to ask and we will see what else we can find for you, but you seem to have 'caught the bug' already by arranging trips to the library to search bmd's and the census.
Take care,
Regards, George.

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 11:50:33 AM »
Have a go at the medals with a pencil rubber.

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »
From the Loyals medal roll for the GSM (Palestine clasp) issue 29 Feb 1940 he was serving with the 2nd Bn then

Duffey

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
Hi all

Hope you're well. Thanks for the last posts. I have caught the bug and have sent off for the service records with all the documentation. I received a very prompt letter back advising that it could take 6 - 8 months due to how busy they are  :o. I guess they were not over estimating on their website.

I think I will have lots more questions when the records finally arrive. In the mean time still searching what else I can find.

I beleive I now have my great Grandads DOB and DOD so will post this in the WW1 board as I'm struggling to link his involvement in WW1 if any.

Has anyone had much luck with findmypast.co.uk website. My searches come back with lots of entries but it is rather expensive so not to keen to commit to an account just yet.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 10:21:07 PM »
Hi Duffey !

It might be a long wait, but worth it  ;D  Well done you !!!

I'll check out the info you post regarding your Great Grandad, but if he was not old enough (21) or his service record was burned, or did not go abroad ....... well it's a lottery really  :-\

Anyways, with regard to findmypast ~ they always show a lot of search results, and not as narrow as I would like, however if I have been looking for something specific I have paid for "pay to view".  Personally I prefer Ancestry, but I think that is because of the kind of specific research I undertake.

On our Forum, of course, there is always the option of asking for a "look-up" on either site, as some of us have access to findmypast and some of us to Ancestry  ;)

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha