Author Topic: Any info on Entrenchment Barracks in Secunderabad, India  (Read 2687 times)

Offline John W

Any info on Entrenchment Barracks in Secunderabad, India
« on: September 19, 2009, 06:28:57 PM »
Dose anyone have any info on Entrenchment Barracks in Secunderabad, India? The 1st Bn were located there from around 1903-1907.
In memory of my great grandfather: 9671 Pte Joseph Percy Rothwell, Manchester Regiment (Boer War, Mons, Le Cateau, PoW, Home Guard) & his father, 1090 Pte Joseph Rothwell, 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers 1871-1882.

liverpool annie

Re: Any info on Entrenchment Barracks in Secunderabad, India
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »

Not sure what you really want John but I have this .......

Till 1858, the cantonment of Secunderabad consisted of barracks and huts extending to a distance of about five square kilometres with the artillery in front on the left flank and the infantry on the right.

After the Mutiny of 1857, it was decided to build a fortification for the forces. A mud fort with a circumference of about four square kilometres was completed in 1867 at Trimulgherry and was called the ‘Entrenchment’. Its 17-feet high wall was surrounded by a moat. It had four main gates named after famous battles which the British had won in India. In an emergency, the entire European population could be accommodated within the Entrenchment.

The Mudfort Road and Entrenchment Road still exist, but nobody knows about how they got their names or what happened to the original structures. The military hospital and the cellular jail are located within the perimeter of the Entrenchment. Built like a cross with arms in four directions, the jail was nicknamed Windsor Castle.
A shaded avenue from Begumpet to Marredpalle, called the Alexandra Road, divided the cantonment from its civilian appendage. James Street and Kingsway connected it to Hyderabad via Tank Bund. After independence, they were all given Indian names

Offline John W

Re: Any info on Entrenchment Barracks in Secunderabad, India
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »
Sorry I should have been more specific - I meant around the period that the 1st Manchesters were there, along with any notable occurences during 1904-07.
In memory of my great grandfather: 9671 Pte Joseph Percy Rothwell, Manchester Regiment (Boer War, Mons, Le Cateau, PoW, Home Guard) & his father, 1090 Pte Joseph Rothwell, 12th (The Prince of Wales's) Royal Regiment of Lancers 1871-1882.