Author Topic: 8055 Allan Arthur Bell 17th batt  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
8055 Allan Arthur Bell 17th batt
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »
I have found the site really helpful in clarifying a few points that weren't available on other sites.

My Grandad was 8055 Allan Arthur Bell, 6 Warrener St, Sale.  He is the last casualty listed on your report of Montauban & Trones Wood on 1st & 10th July 1916.  I wan't aware of his injury at this stage in the campaign and believe he was injured by shrapnel in the foot during the Flers battle.  Strangely he is not listed on that casualty list for Flers.

Are you able to provide any further information on the Trones Wood / Montauban casualty?  The final entry on the list for an early alphabetical name is intriguing...

It appears most of 17th Btn were casualties at Flers, but any thoughts on his ommission from this list would be appreciated.  He carried the shrapnel from Flers with him until he died in the 1970's.  He didn't talk much to my Dad about the Great War, but the source of his limp was certainly explained.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 04:29:15 PM by harribobs »
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: 17th battalion history update
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:15 PM »
Hi Tim

and welcome to the group, Kingo has done a great job hasn't he?

Alan Arthur Bell, 8055 A Company platoon 3

Do you have his platoon photo?

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Re: 17th battalion history update
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:55:50 PM »
Hi Chris,

I have a portrait photo of a proud naive young man in 1914, but no Platoon photo. 

I knew Grandad was in A Company which has been great to cross reference with the Hellfire corner site reporting the daily history of one of his colleagues.  I had no idea which Platoon he was in, so thanks for this.  I can re-read the entries to see if I can learn a few more scraps.

I have a fixation with 1st July 1916 (in common with a few others it seems).  Martin Middlebrook's book (which quotes Grandad at Triangle Point of Montauban Alley) refers to a group of the 17th Btn. visiting Bernafay Wood in the night of 1/7/16.  I have followed A Company's steps from Maricourt to Glatz and Montauban a few times.  I just wonder if you know more about the sortie to Bernafay?  I am happy to follow any of our men's steps from Montauban to the Wood, but would love to know if it was C Platoon.

The injury to Grandad may also throw light on his particular movements in those few days.

Your research by you and your colleagues is great.  Your Grandfathers would appreciate how you are keeping the memories of their comrades alive.

I reckon the sortie to Bernafay was the furthest advance on the first day.  As such, I have a small mission to clarify this point for the 2nd Pals.

Tim

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: 8055 Allan Arthur Bell 17th batt
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:01:26 PM »
tim

here is the platoon photo

click for bigger

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 11:02:28 AM »
Fantastic.

My Dad will be very happy.

Thanks

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 06:04:28 PM »
I have found the site really helpful in clarifying a few points that weren't available on other sites.

My Grandad was 8055 Allan Arthur Bell, 6 Warrener St, Sale.  He is the last casualty listed on your report of Montauban & Trones Wood on 1st & 10th July 1916.  I wan't aware of his injury at this stage in the campaign and believe he was injured by shrapnel in the foot during the Flers battle.  Strangely he is not listed on that casualty list for Flers.

Are you able to provide any further information on the Trones Wood / Montauban casualty?  The final entry on the list for an early alphabetical name is intriguing...

It appears most of 17th Btn were casualties at Flers, but any thoughts on his ommission from this list would be appreciated.  He carried the shrapnel from Flers with him until he died in the 1970's.  He didn't talk much to my Dad about the Great War, but the source of his limp was certainly explained.
Sorry to go back in time to my first ever post.

I'm still wondering if anyone knows what injury is recorded for Pt. Bell on 1st July.  I know he had a 'scratched head', but, I'm wondering what is recorded and what the source is.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »
From the M.E.N of the 20th October 1916.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
Hi Kingo,

This MEN entry relates to Pt. Bell's wounds at Flers on 12th October.  I think Mack had filled me in with this and I was delighted to see the original at Colindale last week. I'm missing the reference to his wounds on 1st July.  This is listed on the host site for wounded 17th Battalion men on 1/7/16.  It may not be MEN that is the source.

Thanks very much for trying.

Tim