Author Topic: George Thacker Silver War Badge  (Read 19468 times)

Offline tonyrod

Re: George Thacker Silver War Badge
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 01:54:21 AM »
peebee,
click on this site,   http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
on right hand side you will see a download for  image resizer click on and download,
when downloaded, go to your photos and right click a photo and set for small , that's it,

on posting a reply ,on left hand side , click additional options,then browse,chose photo you want , make sure you have resized to small, and post, hope this makes sense to you,  tonyrod

PeeBee

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 06:55:14 AM »
Esther and George Thacker.

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 07:45:24 AM »
greet photo peebee,
 it shows me  A wound stripe Allied soldiers during World War I who had been wounded in combat. It was typically worn on the left forearm of the uniform or jacket.    i can  not tell the regiment though. 

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 09:12:44 AM »
hes got two wound stripes and a good conduct chevron.

mack ;D

PeeBee

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
Thanks very much you have been a tremendous help.  I have magnified the 4 meg picture to look at the shoulder badge and it appears to be a city crest, perhaps that is why it was assumed he was a Manchester.  I think maybe the crest is that of Leeds, would that be right for the 15th?
I see the two wound stripes and the crossed rifles of the marksman badge but not the good conduct stripe, (we didn't have those in my days in the RAF!).

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2009, 09:50:28 AM »
Thanks very much you have been a tremendous help.  I have magnified the 4 meg picture to look at the shoulder badge and it appears to be a city crest, perhaps that is why it was assumed he was a Manchester.  I think maybe the crest is that of Leeds, would that be right for the 15th?
I see the two wound stripes and the crossed rifles of the marksman badge but not the good conduct stripe, (we didn't have those in my days in the RAF!).
i need glasses ;D ;D ;D,sorry PB

mack

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2009, 10:13:44 AM »
the 15th west yorks shoulder title,had this in the title
                       LEEDS
                    W YORKS

mack ;D

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »
Lovely photo PB !

We don't know he was in the 15th now !!!

15/833 was in the 15th but he was not awarded a Silver War Badge
only 1275 the last MIC I posted.......

We need "our" Roy (themonsstar) to confirm his Battalion for you.

I'm of course assuming that the photo you posted is of the same chap who in a later photo is wearing the SWB ???

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
the wound stripe a 2 inch brass plate,  and  i thought they were cloth
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:42:48 PM by tonyrod »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
PeeBee can we please see the photo if him wearing the Sliver War Badge?

Wendi :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
the wound stripe a 2 inch brass plate,  and  i thought they were cloth
ime not sure tony,but i think they were made of cloth,and these were worn on active service, and the brass ones worn on other occasions,pretty sure your right about the cloth ones
ive seen brass types before,but ive never seen the back of one,great find mate

mack ;D

PeeBee

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 08:02:28 PM »
I will get a photo sent down with him wearing the Silver War Badge.  I'm still not sure exactly what he did in the war but at least I am nearer to identifying the type of life he led tahnks to your efforts.

Coming from Leeds I had heard a lot about the Leeds Pals and the hammering they took at Gallipoli but having just read a factual account I am horrified at what they went through.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
laurie milners book,"the leeds pals"is a great read,plenty of photos of individuals.
my mother and her family,were all leeds folk,my sister was born at jimmys,i was nearly a yorkshireman,but me old man moved me mam back to his hometown in manchester,a few weeks before i was born,stating that he didnt want another one of his kids born in bloody yorkshire,he always gave her stick about being from yorkshire,but she was more than a match for him
i spent many happy times up at my grandfathers in leeds,i saw the last tram go into the depot,to be broken up,happy days

mack ;D

PeeBee

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 08:40:09 PM »
At last I have recieved the picture of George Thacker wearing his SWB.  Can we just clarify which George Thacker MIC belongs to this happy fellow.

(Mack did you know that some young chap on the Roundhay Park website thought that the Hill 60 in said park was named after the angle of the slope.  I mentioned Gallipoli and he regarded my input as a hoax!)

PeeBee

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2009, 09:56:28 AM »
This is the best we can do with the shoulder badge on the oroiginal photo' I posted regarding George Thacker.  It is indistinct but it might be two owls either side of the centre which would therefore be the crest of Leeds.