Author Topic: George Thacker Silver War Badge  (Read 17161 times)

Offline PeeBee

Re: George Thacker Silver War Badge
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 12:13:17 PM »
Yes Wendi, that is the family and we had no idea that other members had indeed joined up.
I will try and get the faded photo of George Thacker copied to this site.  It might take a couple of days.
Thanks for all your trouble.

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »
hiya PB
if your certain that this is your family
from the leeds absent voters register 1918

frank thacker 25 bexley terrace,leeds
lewis thacker,25 bexley terrace,leeds
howard thacker,25 bexley terrace,leeds
fred thacker,highfield place,leeds
GEORGE THACKER,quarry mount terrace,leeds
this george thacker,was in the 15th west yorks regt[leeds pals]army number 883,he was discharged,on 16th march 1919.
the 15th west yorks cap badge,is similar in shape to the manchesters badge

mack ;D

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 07:20:18 PM »
We have to make absolutly sure we have the right family

He was born in Leeds in 1891 but moved to Manchester prior to the war.  He married in September 1917, whilst living at 45 Milton Street, Manchester.

The absent voters register shows that George Thacker as still in Leeds (I suppose he could have gone to Manchester and back again)

But we still have no Silver War Badge MIC for either of the 2 Manchester Regiment George Thackers, however the 15th West Yorks Reg. one does not appear to have one either  :-\

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 11:38:09 PM »
We have to make absolutly sure we have the right family

He was born in Leeds in 1891 but moved to Manchester prior to the war.  He married in September 1917, whilst living at 45 Milton Street, Manchester.

The absent voters register shows that George Thacker as still in Leeds (I suppose he could have gone to Manchester and back again)

But we still have no Silver War Badge MIC for either of the 2 Manchester Regiment George Thackers, however the 15th West Yorks Reg. one does not appear to have one either  :-\

Wendi  :)

your absolutely right wendi.
i think he may be a different george,possibly a relative.
i also found this

george thacker was buried in phillips park cemetery,on 23-1-26,grave ref.G.consecrated.671,his wife esther was buried in the same grave,on 6-2-1945

mack
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:53:50 PM by mack »

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 12:37:20 AM »
mack, wendi, had a problem earlier lost connection with site anyway, found these on 1911 census,
 THACKER GEORGE 1844 67 Prestwich Lancashire   
 THACKER GEORGE 1892 19 Chorlton Lancashire  i think this is our man and unlikely to have been
on absent voters list in leeds  if discharged, and he got married in 1917

THACKER GEORGE 1906 5 Leeds   i think this is the one  from absent voters list went over late.or on becoming 18
THACKER GEORGE 1874 37 Leeds
THACKER GEORGE BERTRAM M 1894 17 Ripon
THACKER GEORGE  1888 23 Hull

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 02:47:00 AM »
mack, wendi, had a problem earlier lost connection with site anyway, found these on 1911 census,
 THACKER GEORGE 1844 67 Prestwich Lancashire   
 THACKER GEORGE 1892 19 Chorlton Lancashire  i think this is our man and unlikely to have been
on absent voters list in leeds  if discharged, and he got married in 1917

THACKER GEORGE 1906 5 Leeds   i think this is the one  from absent voters list went over late.or on becoming 18
THACKER GEORGE 1874 37 Leeds
THACKER GEORGE BERTRAM M 1894 17 Ripon
THACKER GEORGE  1888 23 Hull

the george thacker in the west yorkshire regt,went overseas,on 22-12-1915

mack ;D

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 07:09:04 AM »
mack, found two in west yorks ,

Medal card of  Thacker, George
Corps: West Yorkshire Regiment
Regiment No: 2175
 1914-1920 WO 372/19 

Medal card of  Thacker, George
Corps: West Yorkshire Regiment
Regiment No: 15/883
 1914-1920 WO 372/19 

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »
THACKER GEORGE 1892 19 Chorlton Lancashire  i think this is our man

Only trouble is this chap's birth was registered on Chorlton not Leeds  ::)

PeeBee does any of this help ?  A copy of the photo would be handy to verify the SWB etc, and perhaps another rambling conversation might throw up something new.

I'm presuming
Yes Wendi, that is the family and we had no idea that other members had indeed joined up.

Please can I ask how you are sure this is George's family?

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline PeeBee

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
The George Thacker I am after was born in Leeds 27 years prior to his marriage to Esther Stubbs on the 27 September 1917.  At the time he is shown, (we have the cert'), as living at 45 Milton St, Manchester.  We also have a letter showing that he was in Belgium 3 August 1915 but it does not have his unit address unfortunately.  I have been promised the photo by e-mail sometime very soon, so I will post it the instant I get it, however, it is very faded.

(He was the son of James Lewis Needham Thacker and Elizabeth Pollard).

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 01:39:55 PM »
In that case PB, this is your man !!!
hiya PB
if your certain that this is your family
from the leeds absent voters register 1918

frank thacker 25 bexley terrace,leeds
lewis thacker,25 bexley terrace,leeds
howard thacker,25 bexley terrace,leeds
fred thacker,highfield place,leeds
GEORGE THACKER,quarry mount terrace,leeds
this george thacker,was in the 15th west yorks regt[leeds pals]army number 883,he was discharged,on 16th march 1919.
the 15th west yorks cap badge,is similar in shape to the manchesters badge

mack ;D

george thacker,was in the 15th west yorks regt

James Lewis married Elizabeth in 1881 in Leeds (or at least they both appear on the same page together with an Elizabeth Armitage and an Alfred William Parkes)

James Lewis does not appear on the 1901 Census, in the household, however Eliz is listed as Married and not widowed.  On the 1891 Census he is listed as a Horse Collar Maker born Walsall

Wendi  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:51:58 PM by Wendi »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 01:59:47 PM »
 :o :o :o  MACK

PeeBee I may have changed my mind !!!

Look what I found !!! Another George Thacker in the West Yorks Reg. who went onto the Durham Light Infantry AND this chap has a Silver War Badge

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 02:47:52 PM »
wendi, its one off the two i  listed in  the west yorks,  i have stopped searching for the time being , my heads  in a spin, to be quit honest i thought with his name only a very few would turn up, the george i listed from the census ( THACKER GEORGE 1892 19 Chorlton Lancashire  i think this is our man ) his at the moment the only one with year of birth fitting,  also its not uncommon for people to give the place they are living  as place of birth on a census,  my gg grandfather on three census was born in three different places,   could there be another twist to this ,  a great search though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:51:29 PM by tonyrod »

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 03:08:21 PM »
and PBs dated letter,rules out both the lads in the manchester regt,they didnt go overseas,till 8th nov 1915,and the george thacker,in the leeds AVL,went overseas in december 1915
i think you may have found him wendi ;D

mack

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »
a great search though.
Quite right !!

the george i listed from the census ( THACKER GEORGE 1892 19 Chorlton Lancashire  i think this is our man ) his at the moment the only one with year of birth fitting, 

You may well be right tony, a search of the England & Wales birth index for +/- 2 years of 1892 show only 2 George Thackers without middle names,
George Thacker 1892 Jan-Feb-Mar Leeds District Yorkshire - West Riding

This chap fits with PeeBee's understanding that George was born in 1891 (had he been born later in December, the family might not have registered the birth until the following January.

George Thacker 1892 Oct-Nov-Dec Walsall District Staffordshire ~ wrong place

And no George Thacker, with or without a middle name, birth registered in Lancashire, anywhere.

I wonder if themonsstar can find anything about 2175 George Thacker from the Medal Rolls  :D ;)

Offline PeeBee

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 11:26:39 PM »
It sounds stupid but how do I put a 4 meg photograph onto this reply?  Or, can you suggest a way I can get this photo as an attachement to you for your perusal?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 12:36:12 AM by PeeBee »