Author Topic: 5th Militia Battalion - shoulder insignia  (Read 3456 times)

teddy

5th Militia Battalion - shoulder insignia
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »
I have in my possession (or perhaps I should say, I am the temporary custodian of) a faded, beat-up South African pattern khaki serge jacket that belonged to a member of the 5th Militia Battalion. I know it did because inside it is stamped with 5 Man and a 4-digit number below that. I have tried and tried to make out the number, but sadly it is just too far gone to be read. The jacket is a wonderful thing, a real been-there piece with the “smell of the veldt” still on it.

Unfortunately, the shoulder titles are missing. I have replaced the Manchester title with a brass pair (which fits the holes perfectly), but there is another, single hole above that. I presume this must have been for either a “5” or an “M”. For the time being I have put a brass “5” in.

My questions are:
1. What insignia should be on the shoulder straps? Presumably the same as whatever was on the scarlet tunic or undress frock, given that they swapped scarlet for khaki on the voyage out?
2. Should it be brass, or white metal? I would have thought brass, but I am not confident.

Here’s hoping someone knows!

Thanks,

Edward

sphinx

Re: 5th Militia Battalion - shoulder insignia
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »
From someone who KNOWS his subject also!!!
Gilding Metal with a seperate gilding metal 5 above.

teddy

Re: 5th Militia Battalion - shoulder insignia
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Excellent, thank you Sphinx! I hope I didn't seem to be making a pointed contrast in the other thread you're possibly alluding to; I certainly didn't intend to. Anyway, the benefit of your knowledge on this subject is most welcome!

Regards,

Edward.