Author Topic: 5th Militia Battalion  (Read 3995 times)

rancher

5th Militia Battalion
« on: July 04, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »
Hello to All,
I have posted before and you found some information on my grandfather Alfred Bruce. At the time I promised you that I would upload a picture of him. It took some time but here it is, I hope you find it interesting, it was taken during his service in South Africa either 1901 or 1902.Is this standard battle dress for the Militias?

sphinx

Re: 5th Militia Battalion
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
The bandolier and Lee Enfield carbine (much shorter than the Charger loading lee enfield and magazine Lee Enfield Rifles used by regular infantry) indicate he was a mounted infantryman.
The slouch hat was standaed wear.

He is in shirt order, jackets were also worn.

regards

teddy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »
Not necessarily Mounted Infantry; troops manning blockhouses, guarding railways and other such static duties, as 5 Man were, were typically issued with bandoliers, esp. at this later stage of the war, and there is lots of photographic evdience of this. I may be wrong but I am fairly sure none of 5 Man served as MI.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
Teddy.

Incorrect.  A large number of men of both Militia Battalions served as mounted infantry.

I am still unearthing details.

Robert
Robert

teddy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:04:03 AM »
Robert

I can accept a correction from a man who knows his subject! In the case of these two men, a clincher for the MI would be the wearing of breeches and spurs. It's difficult to tell from the picture, but I think the one whose knees you can see has trousers, not breeches. Not that this would 100% debar them from being MI - photos exist of mounted men wearing trousers, notably in the war's later stages, when resupply for units on trek was fairly haphazard. But it does look very much as though these two are behind fortifications, which would tie in with 5 Man's static duties.

How is your book coming along? And can you throw any light on the shoulder title question in my other topic?

Regards,

Edward