Author Topic: John Bernard Bolton - Private 3529726 1st Battalion Manchester Regiment  (Read 3893 times)

liverpool annie

I came across this young soldier when I was looking for somebody else in Billinge ... thought I'd post ... just in case !

John Bernard Bolton - Private 3529726 1st Battalion Manchester Regiment

John was born on the 13th of October 1917 the son of George and Edith Bolton (nee Winstanley), and was baptised on the 14th of October 1917 at St. Mary’s R.C. Church.

The family lived in a house opposite the George and Dragon on Main Street.

John was called up into the Army to join the Manchester Regiment and was serving in  Thailand where he was taken prisoner by the Japanese. He died there on Wednesday the 16th of June 1943 aged 25 years. His parents only found out that he had died near the end of the War. John is buried in the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery, Thailand, grave 2.M.38. The cemetery is only a short distance from the site of the former “Kanburi” prisoner-of-war base camp, through which passed most of the prisoners on their way to the other camps, and is the largest of the three cemeteries (two in Thailand and one in Burma) on the notorious Burma-Siam railway.

His name is recorded on St. Aidan’s C.E. Church Memorial.

Sources:-  St. Helens Local History Library, Index of soldiers killed in the Second World War;  The Commonwealth War Graves Commission;  St. Mary’s Church Registers;  St. Mary’s Parish Notice Book, 27th of May 1945.

In Memory of
Private JOHN BERNARD BOLTON

3529726, 1st Bn., Manchester Regiment
who died age 25
on 16 June 1943

Remembered with honour
KANCHANABURI WAR CEMETERY

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
RIP John

They Didn't Believe Me

And when they asked us