Author Topic: AVLs  (Read 30344 times)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: AVLs
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 12:11:37 AM »
Dave

AVL are absent voters lists so they apply to everyone  ;)
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 12:29:55 AM »
Hi,
Do the AVLs only relate to the Manchester Regt or all Mancunians?
If it is the later, could you look up my grandfather Joseph Holland.
He was married in Gorton in 1916, but he might be in Ardwick, and he was with the Welsh Fusiliers.

Cheers,
    Dave
no problem dave,leave it with me.
mack

sitush

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 12:35:37 AM »
i think you are just the person ime looking for,do you live localish.
mack ;D

I've PM'd you. There are a couple of issues with the idea, one of which is technical & so I won't bore the entire forum membership. The non-technical issue is the one I raised originally, ie: there may be copyright issues. Doubtless some people here have used www.freebmd.org.uk and its associate projects but perhaps most remain oblivious to the copyright constraints regarding the data on those sites. In the case of the www.freereg.org.uk project the constraints are likely seriously to impair the intended purpose, although of course anything is better than nowt. I'm not involved with the freebmd etc projects but I've a pretty good idea of how they're doing it and, in any event, this is much simpler from both the IT and the logistical point of view.

I'm not a lawyer but permission may be required. If there are no lawyers here then I think a chat with a Returning Officer is probably not a bad idea. And it may be that written consent would be required from every Returning Officer responsible for the areas which once were covered by (probably) far fewer ROs than nowadays (boundary changes etc). I'm deaf, so can't phone people ... but I can write a mean letter in legalese & perhaps use the Cambridge Uni old boy network if this becomes an issue. As a minimum they are going to insist on free access to all, but that is not an issue & it is the extremities of their potential views that worry me. In particular, public officers in charge of such historical data are becoming increasingly aware that they can raise funds by charging people & planning to implement an official or franchised online system etc.

I would advise that the database itself is the easy bit cf the legals. Transcription is a pain and I think as a project it wold be as well to insist that there is a verification process of some sort (double checking by another person prior to any entry being uploaded, at least, since typos are NOT the computer's fault). But, then, I've never actually seen an AVL & rather get the impression that Mack may have already done much of this; and turned his fingers into stumps as a consequence  :-[

BTW, Mack, my deafness is not so bad that I need to sign, although I do know the obvious sign terminology (as do we all, and I foresee some of it being used in my direction!)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2007, 12:45:40 AM »
simon!

this sounds very interesting!!

( btw forgot to say hello and welcome)

chris ;D

sitush

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 12:54:35 AM »
Been here before, and you've helped me before harribobs - massively. It's just that the forum s/ware has changed & I'm now a virgin again. Truly, Xmas is a time for miracles!

I do think that you may have "lost" a photo previously in the gallery that I sent in of my paternal GF but, hey, you may be getting one of my maternal GF if I can confirm the regt.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 12:58:08 AM »
 ??? sorry mate, i can just about remember mandy and the cats names these days  ::)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 08:01:06 AM »
hiya dave.
theres no joe holland in the gorton register,but theres 2 in the ardwick one
holland.joseph  2 wigley st. AM 3rd class,RAF.129737
holland.joseph  140 hyde rd. lab corps.35005.[prev 39379 ches regt]

mack

slob

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 11:28:52 AM »
Thanks - Wigley St is the one, they moved around that street a bit, I was born at number 15, and I remember visiting number 2, where an aunt was living. She lost her fiance in WW1 and never married. Pity there's no way of tracing who he was.

Is the reference to RAF the obvious one? He always said he was in the RFC at the end of the war and I know he was based at Scampton, but I've never found any evidence for it (apparently he had some good photos that I never saw, and threw them away when he moved house). I had assumed that he was attached to the RFC base as some kind of garrison, but still in the army. He was a bit of a story teller.
There is nothing on his MIC to suggest RFC.

Cheers,
   Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 02:31:40 PM »
hiya dave.
the RAF didnt come into existance till 1-4-1918,so joseph must have registered his vote on or after this date.
but at least we found him ;D
mack

slob

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 04:25:04 PM »
Can I ask you to check if there was a William Holland on the list as well, he would be at the same address.
When I chased your information up, with my mother, she told me that her Uncle William , who is a bit of a mystery, was in the army. He was born in 1900 and so may not have gone far, but if he is there it will tell us his regiment.

Dave

slob

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »
Forget that - he wasn't old enought to vote.

Cheers,
    dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 12:19:11 PM »
Forget that - he wasn't old enought to vote.

Cheers,
    dave
aaahh.but he was old enough in 1920/1923.
theres an AVL at manchester library,that covers these years,i think most of those listed in it,were in the army of occupation on the rhine.
mack

slob

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 12:23:46 PM »
Thanks, It's not possible for me to get to Manchester at the moment, so it will have to wait for now.

Cheers,
    Dave

slob

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 10:40:01 AM »
Hi,
Just another thank you for the Joseph Holland, the service number provided enabled me to get his service records from the NA, and it contains some very precise dates for his army service as well as the RFC/RAF service.

Happy New Year,
   Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 11:41:14 AM »
Hi,
Just another thank you for the Joseph Holland, the service number provided enabled me to get his service records from the NA, and it contains some very precise dates for his army service as well as the RFC/RAF service.

Happy New Year,
   Dave
thats a good result dave.
happy new year

mack