Author Topic: 8312 Pte William Toole  (Read 6212 times)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: 8312 Pte William Toole
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »
great photos!!!!!

i love the one in heaton park, i have got to say i never realised the hutments were that big

thanks very much Pauline
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Pauline

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 07:46:53 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments on the pictures, I got there in the end and I am pleased that you like them so here is a few more.  This is William again and I hope this one is not the wrong way round lol.  Thanks also to Timberman for the information about the uniforms it seems they were so ill prepared with everything.  My aunt told me that some of the postcards and letters that William sent back from the trenches were very upsetting as regards the conditions they had to fight in.

Regards

Pauline

Pauline

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
Hi again

This is the plaque that my gran got along with some medals when William died.  Not sure where the medals went but this has been handed down to me by my mother who was Williams younger sister.

regards

Pauline

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »
great pictures pauline

you can see his 'pals' badge very clearly, this is the badge

and his shoulder title

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Pauline

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 04:33:31 PM »
Wow great pictures of the badges Chris never seen the one with 2 on before.  Here is another picutre of William again out training on the roads somewhere.  William is on the front row on the left.

regards

Pauline

Pauline

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 04:36:45 PM »
Yet another picture of the 17th Battalion 2nd Manchesters.  William is standing in the doorway 3rd one down in the middle, but I guess you know what he looks like now.

Pauline

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »
hi pauline, great photo's  and the plaque, priceless, you could if you wished get a set of replica medal,
 but i will check ebay for you in the hope they come on the market. tonyrod

Pauline

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 11:14:55 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the comments on the photos, I was pleased that you all enjoyed them and that there was something different that you had not seen before, I was only too happy to share them with you.

Hi Tony thanks for the information on the medals, I did get some replicas made a few years ago now with the intention of framing everything along with a nice photo of William but I have not come up with the right format yet but it is on my list of things to do.  It would be nice to get the originals so thanks Tony for checking ebay for me.

regards

Pauline