Author Topic: MY GRANDFATHER PETER DILLON (ALIAS FRANK MCGUIRE)  (Read 2878 times)

Mavis

MY GRANDFATHER PETER DILLON (ALIAS FRANK MCGUIRE)
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:17:09 PM »
Just joined the list hoping someone can tell me where I can find information on my grandfather's service in South Africa?  I have details of his two two medals QSA WO 100/163 and KSA WO 100/317.  His discharge ref.  WO97/4693 (1900-1913).  The other information I have is, that he enlisted under an alias Frank McGuire, it was said that it was because he was under age, he was born on 31 December 1878, but don't know what date he went in, if it was 1899 then he would have been about 20, that wouldn't have been underage, could he have enlisted before then.  With the discharge papers was an affidavit signed by him, Peter Dillon, to the effect that he was not Frank McGuire.  He married at 16 in 1895 and there was a copy of his marriage certificate which the army had obtained from my grandmother, as they had a son born 1898 presumably she would be wanting some benefit for him from the army.  Many thanks.    Mavis

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: MY GRANDFATHER PETER DILLON (ALIAS FRANK MCGUIRE)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »
Hi Mavis

and welcome to the forum

i'm afraid this isn't my area of research but i hope that one of the boer war experts will be able to help you

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

ladysmith

Re: MY GRANDFATHER PETER DILLON (ALIAS FRANK MCGUIRE)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:40 AM »
Hi Mavis - WO 97 is the series at the National Archives for regular soldiers' attestation and service papers of the period. You have his file reference WO 97/4693 but I'm guessing you don't have copies of his papers as they would show, among many other things, his date of enlistmsnt and his declared age. These papers would give you as much information about his service as you're ever likely to get.

He probably did join up before 1899. Most of the regular soldiers in the Boer War were already serving or were recalled from the reserve when war broke out.

What are the clasps on his QSA Medal?

Regards, David