Author Topic: Letters from an old soldier  (Read 3090 times)

mrmark

Letters from an old soldier
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:29:02 PM »
Hello all,

My grandmother's father was a member of the 1st Battalion Liverpool Regiment, which I understand to have subsequently merged into the Manchester Regiment.  He saw service in the 2nd Boer War in 1900, for approximately 10 months.  During his time in South Africa, his mother transcribed every one of his letters into a book.

I am in the process of copying these letters into MS Word.  Is there a Regimental Museum that would be interested in a copy of this document, once finished?

tisgrannie

Re: Letters from an old soldier
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 01:43:26 PM »
Hello and welcome, what a wonderful gesture! How thoughtful of both you and your Grandmother. I am sure the Manchester Regt would be delighted to have them.
http://www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/mom
Folks will be along shortly especially those with special interest in the Boer War.
Happy holidays
tisgrannie
ps.
hope I got the link correct!

sphinx

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 08:38:24 PM »
If he was in the King's, which is how I read it, The Manchesters Museum would not accept it.
They are offered lots of things but decline many items if they are not pertaining to the Manchester Regiment.

The Kings Musuem in Liverpool is the place. (Collection currently in storage awaiting the completion of a brand new Museum)

Contact Clara Paillard, administrative assistant for the social history team on 0151 478 4063.

regards

mrmark

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:18:21 AM »
Hello,

My thanks - My rudimentary internet search skills did not find the King's Museum anywhere