Author Topic: Horace Victor Northcote  (Read 14711 times)

Tony1/612742

Re: Horace Victor Nothcote
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »
I have Thomas Vivian Northcotes Attestation Paper. He was 17 yrs and 3 months at Attestation into the 1/6th on 27th March 1911. Horace was already there as he attested in April 1908 with the first batch from the 2nd VB. (The famous) Colour Serjeant Frendrick Hay witnessed the signing (not Horace) and 2nd Lieutenant Aldous signed him on. He worked at Northcote Davis of 86 York St (Check Manchester Battalions for list) (Did the Northcotes have their own Firm?).  T

Tony1/612742

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 12:04:52 AM »
MCr City Battalions:

T. V. Northcote Manchester Grammar School Roll of Honour.

No entry for Northcote Davis.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:07:41 AM by Tony1/612742 »

Big Pete

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 07:04:05 AM »
I have Thomas Vivian Northcotes Attestation Paper. He was 17 yrs and 3 months at Attestation into the 1/6th on 27th March 1911. Horace was already there as he attested in April 1908 with the first batch from the 2nd VB. (The famous) Colour Serjeant Frendrick Hay witnessed the signing (not Horace) and 2nd Lieutenant Aldous signed him on. He worked at Northcote Davis of 86 York St (Check Manchester Battalions for list) (Did the Northcotes have their own Firm?).  T

I'm stunned with your work.

Yes they did. I'm not sure when but Horace had a factory making clothing in the Manchester area. I never knew about Thomas. Or the fact they worked as a sniper team. I'm amazed. I will certainly ask about Thomas.

My 4 year old son is called Thomas.

Thank you so much for the work you have done.

Best regards

Pete

Tony1/612742

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 09:43:10 AM »
I am glad to help, this is my hobby anyway. More on Thomas:

Thomas also earned a SWB. He is listed in the Evening Chronicle on 23rd June 1915 as wounded ( I have the paper). So that would have been during the June 4th - 6th Krithia bayonet charge.

In March 1911 he lived at 365 Moss Lane Whitworth Park Eccles and he was a Mantle Rif? (some cloth job?)

in 1924 he lived at 16 Brunswick Rd, Withington Manchester. T

Big Pete

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
Just off the phone with my Mum.

Thomas was indeed his brother. He lived well into his 90's and was married for 72 years to Violet.

Horace also lived into his 90's. And his Daughter (my grandmother) will be 90 next year. Horace's surviving son Douglas (bottom right in the picture) will be 93 next year.

I can't thank you enough Tony.

Best regards

Pete

Tony1/612742

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008, 12:01:18 AM »
Both Horace and Thomas lived into their 90's. Unbelievable and I am so glad for them. The chances of them being killed at Gallipoli were odds on. Just in the 4th - 6th June action, of the 770 men of the 1/6th Manchesters who took part in the attack only 288 were left in the fighting strength on 12th June. Thomas being a casualty. Thanks and tell all your family about them as there has never been men of better quality since and there will never will be again. T

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2008, 12:05:44 AM »
Tony

absolutely superb mate!!!  ;D ;D ;D
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Big Pete

Re: Horace Victor Northcote
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2008, 12:14:55 PM »
Thant's very kind of you to say so. I have so much to tell, thank you very much.

Regards

Pete

Big Pete

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 07:29:10 AM »
Hello again,

Just wanted to tell you all of a wonderful day spent chatting to my grandmother about her Dad, Horace. She told me some lovely things about him. This wouldn't have been possible without your help. It brought me closer to her having some knowledge of her family. She has always been quite stand-off-ish about her past.

Horace was a crack shot as Tony was able to say. He toured South Africa with an England team doing shooting competions. He also shot at the Bisley centre.

The most amazing piece of info from her was that a mother of pearl table that sits in the corner of her living room, which has done for as long as I can remember, was taken home from Gallipoli in the hospital ship Horace was on. Its huge, I can't understand how he managed. It would have been a struggle if he was fully fit.

She has 'loads' more to tell me, pictures to show me. All which I look forward too. I will of course keep you all updated.

Wishing you all a peaceful and Merry Christmas

Pete

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 11:44:38 PM »
 ;D

Pete, it's stories like this that make it all worth while ;)

make sure you do keep us updated!!

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Tony1/612742

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2008, 10:35:59 AM »
Hi Pete,

The MOP table: It's Eygptian I think. I have a MOP box which I am led to believe was brought back from Eygpt the same way. My relation was in Eygpt and entered Gallipoli on 5/5/15; I don't think the 42nd Div had any opertunity to get objects from Gallipoli; it was not a fresh theatre for them on entry and the whole place was chewed up and in a state of total devestation. Soldiers did leave items in store under Capt D.C. Bolton and QMS Taylor at Port Said 42 Div Infantry Base Depot which they bought in Eygpt and could collect or would be sent onto them later. They were not allowed to take any personal effects other than what they could put in the breast pocket into theatre and they could not take anything like a table out of Gallipoli.

Great thread Pete: I am pleased you are enjoying finding out things about your past. Happy Xmas. T

Big Pete

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »
Hello friends,

Just wanted to say hello, I've been busy finding out more stuff. My Gran died earlier this year and I met up with my Great Uncle (96) and he showed me some very interesting pictures. I will post them up as soon as poss. He also gave me an insight into his dad (Horace) and his brothers. Quite a visit indeed but ultimately a sad one as he is very frail. He was overjoyed to hear how interested I was in my family's history which gave me re-newed vigor to find out more.

Regards

Pete

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »
Hi Pete !

It's true what they say about families seeing each other at Births, Marriages and Deaths isn't it !  no matter how we promise it will be otherwise  :D

Look forward to seeing the photos !

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha