Author Topic: The Great Escape  (Read 2964 times)

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
The Great Escape
« on: November 20, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »
Great Escape Tunnel WWII

Click on the link at the end of this for a graphic presentation of "Harry" the tunnel used for the "Great Escape".

When graphics appear, move cursor over the number (no need to click) to display an explanation of activity. Take the tour. It's really something to see.
The last number to 'roll over' is 16. Be sure to look and read the numbers and click 'next' to move along to the next page.
In 1943 work had begun on 'Harry', the tunnel that allowed over 70 men to escape from the German POW camp, 'Stalag III', during World War II.
This was the same tunnel made famous by the movie 'The Great Escape'.
The URL below takes you to a site where one of the men, after the War, drew a diagram with explanations of each of the sections.
It's amazing how accurate the movie was, even though it couldn't possibly include all the information involved in this great engineering feat.

See:  http://www.kerman94.com/tunnelharry.html

Cliff

Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

timberman

Re: The Great Escape
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:03:57 PM »
Thanks for posting the link.
I have memories of my Uncle telling stories of the Great Escape and the people he knew.

Thanks again

Timberman

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:22:11 PM »
that is a really good and clever web site!
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

tisgrannie

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:38:59 AM »
rafboy , Thanks so much for that link. Its really good and so simple! I have sent it around the world, my friends and family will enjoy that and appreciate it as I did.
Thanks again.
tisgrannie