Author Topic: Abraham Whelan 8th battn  (Read 3945 times)

terriers

Abraham Whelan 8th battn
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:06:07 PM »
Hi,

My grandfathers number on his demob in 1919 was 301328 (8th Ardwicks).  Can I find out his original number at all?  Also - how do I find out which of the 8th he was in - he joined up on 9th June 1915 and was demobbed on 22 Jan 1919.
Here's hoping!!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:20:15 PM by harribobs »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Renumbering of territorials
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 05:27:42 PM »
hiya terrier.
wot was your grandfathers name.

mack

terriers

Re: Renumbering of territorials
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 05:47:56 PM »
Hi,
His name was Abraham Whelan - Bandsman and stretcher bearer - but sadly there is no medal card for him at all - believe me I have searched!!  I thought that perhaps he may have enlisted under a false name (he was only 16 at the time he enlisted) - I thought perhaps his original number may help - clutching at straws!!

ps. Do you know whether Kneller Hall keep records of WW1 trainees -  he did train there.
Thanks

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Abraham Whelan 8th battn
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »
hi terriers

and welcome

we need to know where you got the service number ( and battn), the more we know about Abraham Whelan, the more we can help

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

timberman

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »
Hi
These are the only records I can find for soldiers with the service number 301328 ???

Medal card of    MacDonald, J
Corps:   Royal Garrison Artillery
Regiment No:   301328

Medal card of    Hunt, Fred G
Corps:   Tank Corps

Medal card of    MacDonald, John
Corps:   Royal Garrison Artillery

Medal card of    Goldsworthy, Frank A
Corps:   Royal Engineers

and these for Whelan that served in the Manchester regiment.
No help but I'll keep looking.

Description   Medal card of Whelan, John C
Corps   Regiment No   Rank
Manchester Regiment   31135   Private

Date   1914-1920
Catalogue reference   WO 372/21 

Description   Medal card of Whelan, J A
Manchester Regiment   1801   Private

Date   1914-1920

Description   Medal card of Whelan, John
Manchester Regiment   1801   Private

Date   1914-1920

Description   Medal card of Whelan, William
Manchester Regiment   50466   Private
Labour Corps   477386   Private

Date   1914-1920

Also fond this on the following link ???
http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/reunite/lost_missing_t.htm

WHELAN, Abraham. Pte. 301328 Manchester Regiment   Any Medals; served WW1, 8th (Ardwicks) Battalion.

Was it posted by you ???
Timberman

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:28:19 PM by timberman »

tisgrannie

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
Hi terriers and welcome, firstly would you mind sharing personal info. e.g. Fathers name, mother etc. Where born approximately when sometimes you find things on the census that give us clues. We shall help as best we can.
regards
tisgrannie

terriers

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »
He everyone,

Yes - I did post a query on the lost medals site some time ago.  I have been trying to gain info on my grandads history for several years!

He was born in Manchester in 1898.  Father William Whelan and Mother Mary Elizabeth Whelan nee Own.  I have found him on the 1901 census and I have his birth cert.

On his demob certificate which I have it states he enlisted in June 1915 and was demobbed in January 1919.  It says he did have active service overseas!  I know he was in the 8th Ardwicks as he appears in the Manchester Mills Roll of Honour for Hall Highams Mill Ancoats and is listed as Bandsman.  I know he trained at Kneller Hall and I also know that he convalesced at some time during or after the war in a military hospital in the Carnforth area.  On his demob cert his year of birth is given as 1895 - he lied to join up!  He was actually 16 when he enlisted -  born August 1898.  Although his demob cert says he did have active service overseas - I cannot understand why there should be no trace of medals or a medal card.  Can anyone explain why he may not have had medals - he was not discarged - the cert says he was demobbed.  I went to the M/c regiment open day yesterday and I saw Ian Mckinness.  He explained that maybe he was sent home when it was discovered he was too young to be abroad!  Could this be the answer?  Although - he was sent to convalesce - I am told by the family that it was because of his job as a stretcher bearer and the distress of collecting body bits etc!! So if that is true then he did have active service!  Perhaps I shall never really know!!  Thanks to all who are taking an interest!

timberman

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 06:53:23 PM »
Hi Terrier
I just saw your post. I had found him on the Manchester Roll also.

He worked for Hall, Higham and co, 6-14 Dale Street Manchester.
I asked if it was you that had posted on the lost medals, just in case someone else was looking for him as well.
Timberman