Author Topic: Peter augustus McLoughlin, 16th Battalion, E Company, Platoon 17  (Read 4205 times)

Angela

I’m trying to research my grandfather’s military record – I have uncovered a few facts but I am seeking help to complete his story.  His name was Peter A McLoughlin and at the time of the photograph on your website, your records show that he held the rank of Lance Corporal.

Some time in 1915, he joined the Machine Gun Corps where he served beyond the end of the war; in May 1918  (when he married) his rank was 2nd Lieutenant and by February 1919, his daughter’s birth certificate shows his rank as Captain (M.G.C.) 

This has raised so many questions for me and I’d be very grateful if anyone out there could answer them for me, or direct me where to look for information:

Did soldiers volunteer for the MGC – or were they transferred automatically when the Corps was formed in 1915?

As a member of the MGC, was he still a member of the Manchester Regiment?

I was surprised a man from a poor background could achieve the rank of Captain – was this more common during WW1, due to high numbers of officer casualties? Is it possible to find a full history of his service showing his progress through the ranks?
Although he never talked about his military service, family members said that he was ‘mentioned in dispatches’ – is it possible to check this out?

Finally, I remember as a child seeing a photo of my grandfather with 2 other officers - my grandmother said it was taken in the Holy Land.  As a member of the MGC would he have seen service there – and when is this likely to have been?

I apologise for asking so many naïve questions – but I really want to record his story for my children and grandchildren.  Thank you in anticipation.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:52:07 PM by mack »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Peter A McLoughlin, 16th Battalion, E Company, Platoon 17
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:03:15 PM »
hello angela
your grandfather would have either applied for a commission or been recommended by the commanding officer of the 16th manchesters,i cant find a reference of him being mentioned in despatches,but that doesn't mean he wasn't,it just means its not showing up,he arrived in france on 16th November 1917 with the MGC,he could apply to join a regiment if he wanted or simply go where they posted him.
he lived at 16 goulden rd levenshulme at the end of the war,which is 5 minutes from my home,his house is still there.
he died at Withington hospital on 19th February 1953,at the time of his death,he was living at 2 scarisbrick rd,levenshulme,which is not far from where I live.

mack ;D

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: Peter A McLoughlin, 16th Battalion, E Company, Platoon 17
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
Angela,

As regards MGC service in the "Holy Land", I note that units of the Corps operated in that theatre of war.  May I suggest that you visit the web-site of the Corps, where it appears that they have a database containing information upon 100,000 former MGC personnel. In all the circumstances it would appear that their research charges are reasonable.  PhilipG

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: Peter augustus McLoughlin, 16th Battalion, E Company, Platoon 17
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:17:37 PM »
Angela,

In view of your mention that this former Manchester Regt. soldier when transferred to the MGC could have served in the "Holy Land", I have referred to General Allenby's account in the "Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force : July 1917 - October 1918."   In that account reference is made to the following MGC units:-

221,262 & 264 Machine Gun Corps Companies.

You may find this info. of help in any research.  PhilipG.

Angela

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for your prompt and helpful replies!

PhilipG - I have followed your advice and have today written to Graham Sacker, the contact for MGC archive research.  I agree their search fees are very fair indeed.

Mack - I visited Scarisbrick Raod as a child but had no idea that the house at Goulden Road was still there!  I can't find it listed on Google Maps - could I trouble you to let me have directions, say from the Midway on Stockport Road, Leve?

Many thanks, Angela

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »
hiya angela.
I cant find it either,ime certain it was near leve park,around Guildford road and audley road area.

angela.
you must be a levenshulme girl,only levenshulme folk call it leve,and people from out of town,dont know about the midway pub,its been shut for years.

mack ;D

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »
Mack,

There is a Goulden Road connecting Palatine Road with Burton Road. No. 16 has the Post Code M20 4ZF.  Audley Road carries the Post Code M19 3FQ.

However, No. 16 GouldeR Road has been given the Post Code M18 7JQ.

We're left with the possibility it was "blitzed" in 1940-41.  Fairey Aviation and Crossley Motors were in Levenshulme, I recall. Just a thought! Philip G.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:27:10 AM »
Mack,

There is a Goulden Road connecting Palatine Road with Burton Road. No. 16 has the Post Code M20 4ZF.  Audley Road carries the Post Code M19 3FQ.

However, No. 16 GouldeR Road has been given the Post Code M18 7JQ.

We're left with the possibility it was "blitzed" in 1940-41.  Fairey Aviation and Crossley Motors were in Levenshulme, I recall. Just a thought! Philip G.
hiya Philip.
apart from some damage to a few houses in burnage,which is part of levenshulme,my town wasn't touched by the blitz,we had a POW camp in levenshulme which could be the reason,i was head of security at faireys and I delved into its wartime history,they only had one hispano cannon to defend the place but it was never needed.

mack[smiley]

Angela

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 10:23:01 AM »
The house in Goulden Road that I'm looking for was in an area of Levenshulme known as 'The Manor' near Matthews Lane.  It's important to my research because Peter McLoughlin's family lived in poverty (Angel Meadow and Ancoats).  When he married in 1918, he moved to Goulden Road - which I'm assuming was a modest terraced house which he rented.  Less that 10 years later he was able to BUY a 4 bedroomed detached house in Scarisbrick Road where he had a very comfortable middle-class lifestyle.

My theory is that his change of fortunes came about as a result of meeting and befriending John E Blakeley (born 1888, Ardwick) probably while serving in the Manchester Regiment. Blakeley made films (Mancunian Films in Dickinson Road) and Peter McLoughlin started a company which rented these films to cinemas.

And yes, Mack, I'm very proud of my Leve roots  ;)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
The house in Goulden Road that I'm looking for was in an area of Levenshulme known as 'The Manor' near Matthews Lane.  It's important to my research because Peter McLoughlin's family lived in poverty (Angel Meadow and Ancoats).  When he married in 1918, he moved to Goulden Road - which I'm assuming was a modest terraced house which he rented.  Less that 10 years later he was able to BUY a 4 bedroomed detached house in Scarisbrick Road where he had a very comfortable middle-class lifestyle.

My theory is that his change of fortunes came about as a result of meeting and befriending John E Blakeley (born 1888, Ardwick) probably while serving in the Manchester Regiment. Blakeley made films (Mancunian Films in Dickinson Road) and Peter McLoughlin started a company which rented these films to cinemas.

And yes, Mack, I'm very proud of my Leve roots  ;)
hiya angela
goulden rd was on the manor,i checked my 1918 absent voters registers for levenshulme and goulden rd is exactly where we both said it was,theres one road that's not in the register and that's greening road,i remember goulden rd as a child because I was born at rushden road round the corner,i think goulden road became greening road.
is your hubby called bob

mack

Angela

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »
Thanks especially to PhilipG and Mack!  I've been in touch with Graham Sacker (MGC Researcher) who has been really helpful - he discovered that Peter McLoughlin rose to the rank of Captain in the MGC and he also saw service in WW2 (Home Guard perhaps?) so I've had to contact the Army Record Centre in Glasgow for his full service history.  It also appears from the Forces War Records online that he was awarded the Military Cross, but I'll wait to see if that is confirmed by the Army Record Centre.

And Mack - Goulden Road did become Greening Road as you suggested.  Someone showed me an extract from an old OS Map which confirmed this - so your recollection from childhood was spot on!

All I need now is to find a connection to John E Blakeley, and the family mystery will be solved!