Author Topic: RSM Wade 21st battn  (Read 14452 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: RSM Wade 21st battn
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
Wendi

Thanks Wendi. When I first typed my request on the Forum, I suppose all I was expecting was confirmation of an initial, or even a name but to get all the info and the wonderful photo - wow. It gives you a strange feeling looking into the face of someone you never knew, but who helped shape the world and your own family.

Well done all,

Robinetta

sorry we couldnt be much help ;D ;D ;D.
albeit your mum was pleased to see a picture of her granddad as well.
walter[jnrs] records will probably be up in scotland,one of the gang will advise you how to go about getting them.

mack

Robinetta

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 09:41:42 PM »
Thanks Mack

Look forward to hearing anything about Grandfather - Walter Wade from 'the gang'.

Regards,

Robinetta

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »
My mum told me never to get involved with Gangs  ::)

Robinetta, I think what mack is trying to say is that it's more lightly that Walter saw service from the age of 18 onwards, so probably was in the Army after 1920, his service record would then be retained by the MOD and obtainable to next of kin via this link to the Veterans Agency in Glasgow, however is costs £30 to apply  :-\

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Robinetta

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 04:59:22 PM »
Hi Wendi

You have all inspired me to try and search harder and I have managed to find Walter Wade all by myself! Well, before I get too big for my boots - I will say I have found a Walter Wade in the Manchester Regiment. I really did not know about Medal Index Cards till finding your site and reading your information so I stumbled a bit ??? but I managed to look it up!

Walter Wade, number 52671 (it looks like this on the actual document but has been transcribed as 52621?). Enlisted 08.09.17 and discharged on 16.07.18. Cause of discharge Para 392/XVI. Dpt. Manch. Rgt. and Rank states Boy?

What do you think?

Regards, Robinetta

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »
Hi Robinetta,  I have to warn you in my experience inspiration can turn to addiction  ;D

You have been uniquely lucky although I suggest not so lucky for Walter :-\  You see this is a Medal Index Card, but it is for a Silver War Badge (as opposed to the other type of MIC we usually see for overseas service) this one is awarded for wound or sickness either at home or overseas..........

So all the above together with the "Boy" I think he is yours, and perhaps the Index reference and the Cause of discharge can tell you more.....

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »
PS I think you are right his number is 52671 and under 18 until the Armistice he would have not, legally been allowed to go, abroad, into the field of battle.

Robinetta

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2008, 08:19:33 PM »
Hi Wendi

You see you are making me addicted!!! ;D

Thanks for all the additional info. Had no idea that my Grandfather, Walter Wade, was enlisted at such an early age. Probably something to do with his father, RSM Wade possibly?! Wanting him to follow in his footsteps?!

This has been a real journey. Thanks for guiding me along the way.

Kind regards,

Robinetta

tisgrannie

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »
Hello Robinetta, I have just come on line to the site after a while way. What a link to land in on!*!*  It assures me of the greatness of the site and the people on here. Congratulations on finding Walter! You can carry on from there! You will be helping us out before long! Thats how I started as well. One day I was looking for Grandad, a while later I had all the info there is about him. Even down to a  letter he wrote. Fantastic bunch of folk to hang out with!
King regards
tisgrannie
ps
See you around  :)

Robinetta

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »
Hi Tisgrannie

Glad you are safely back after your "time away". You are quite right about the "greatness of the site" too. Fancy you coming on site to look for your Grandad - and still being here! You never know, I might follow in your footsteps! Although I am sure I am not that clever but as Wendi pointed out, and I agree, this really is addictive stuff and this is a wonderful place to be addictive! I am so enjoying hanging out with this "bunch of folk" and will be sad when I have got no more questions to ask.

King regards,

Robinetta

timberman

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 06:56:43 PM »
This site addictive ??? no ;D ;D

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 10:18:08 PM »
I am so enjoying hanging out with this "bunch of folk" and will be sad when I have got no more questions to ask.

And in there lies the addictiveness 'cos you'll find yourself helping others with what you have learned before you stop asking questions yourself  ;D .......... well hopefully, anyway !!!

Robinetta

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »
Hi Wendi and All

Yes I hope so too. I have to spend some time collating all the information and printing things off but I will be keeping an eye on you all and visiting regularly.

Thanks and kind regards,

Robinetta