Author Topic: RSM Wade 21st battn  (Read 14433 times)

Robinetta

Re: Wade poss 21st battn
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »
Good evening to all

What a great photo. Have no idea which of those wonderful people is my Great Grandfather as none of my surviving relatives have photos, but nevertheless, it is so exciting to me to know he is on that picture.

Brilliant and thanks.

Robinetta

Robinetta

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 09:38:04 PM »
Hello again

Just a quick query. I know my Great Grandfather was on the island of Guernsey in 1905. Does anyone think this might have been something that was related to his Regiment? Was there a base in Guernsey?

Robinetta

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 10:15:25 PM »
i think i know which one he is but i will let one of the uniform experts make their comments first

re guernsey, yes the regiment went there after the boer war
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Robinetta

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »
Hi Chris - and thanks again

Another piece of my family puzzle in place with the Guernsey info. Can't wait to see the face of my Great Grandfather.

Regards,

Robinetta

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 12:17:55 AM »
Good evening to all

What a great photo. Have no idea which of those wonderful people is my Great Grandfather as none of my surviving relatives have photos, but nevertheless, it is so exciting to me to know he is on that picture.

Brilliant and thanks.

Robinetta

your great grandfather,is the man sat dead centre on the front row,hes flanked by the officers.

mack

Robinetta

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 08:17:20 AM »
Hello

I am truly amazed and excited. Thank you so much. What a day!

Robinetta

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »
Hi Chris - and thanks again

Another piece of my family puzzle in place with the Guernsey info. Can't wait to see the face of my Great Grandfather.

Regards,

Robinetta

chris is spot on,he went to guernsey after the boer war.
1898 in manchester
10-6-99 arrived at lichfield camp
9-12-99 arrived in dublin
16-3-1900 sailed for south africa,on the SS bavaria
1902 returned from south africa,on the SS michigan and went to aldershot camp.
24-9-1904 arrived on guernsey.

mack

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »
so are we agreed this is he?

;D

( a better quality pic for you robinetta, click the photo for larger and then right click and save image)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:10:13 PM by harribobs »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 03:14:13 AM »
so are we agreed this is he?

;D

( a better quality pic for you robinetta, click the photo for larger and then right click and save image)

thats him mate.
good work chris,thats a great picture.

mack

Robinetta

Re: RSM Wade 21st battn
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »
Hello

The picture is brilliant. Are we sure this is him as I thought Mack had said he was dead centre and this is the man just left of centre. (Would prefer him though as he has a much softer look!!) I am sure you are right, but just needed to check so please dont be miffed!?

Robinetta

Robinetta

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 06:12:14 PM »
Hello

Forgot to mention my conversation with my Aunt yesterday when I gave her all the news I had from you all - she did not know my Great Grandfather (her Grandfather) as she was born after he died. Giving her all the info jogged a memory for her and she recalls family talk about her own Father - son of RSM Wade. She said he had joined the army and played some kind of a roll in the Great War? I am sure this would not have been the case as he would only had been aged 15 at the end of the war. His name was Walter Hugh Wade and he was born in 1903. Does anyone know if he also may have joined the Regiment at some point.

I wait in anticipation,

Kind regards,

Robinetta

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
Robinetta !

I am charmed to meet your Great Grandfather.  They were as RSM's expected to be fearsome but I'm sure if you'd been a kiddie crawling round of the floor he'd have been a pussycat  :)  I know the face hair takes some kinda getting used to these days but it was the fashion 100 years ago

So happy that you have a photo of him, it's really special

Thanks guys !

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Robinetta

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 09:59:05 PM »
Wendi

Thanks Wendi. When I first typed my request on the Forum, I suppose all I was expecting was confirmation of an initial, or even a name but to get all the info and the wonderful photo - wow. It gives you a strange feeling looking into the face of someone you never knew, but who helped shape the world and your own family.

Well done all,

Robinetta

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2008, 11:20:53 PM »
oh he's dead centre of the battalion ;D

the officers might have had the odd moment when they thought they were in charge......

Robinetta

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 05:31:40 PM »
Hello

Forgot to mention my conversation with my Aunt yesterday when I gave her all the news I had from you all - she did not know my Great Grandfather (her Grandfather) as she was born after he died. Giving her all the info jogged a memory for her and she recalls family talk about her own Father - son of RSM Wade. She said he had joined the army and played some kind of a roll in the Great War? I am sure this would not have been the case as he would only had been aged 15 at the end of the war. His name was Walter Hugh Wade and he was born in 1903. Does anyone know if he also may have joined the Regiment at some point.

I wait in anticipation,

Kind regards,

Robinetta

Hi again,

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about this one or should I post it as a new thread? Not sure what to do?

Regards,

Robinetta