Author Topic: Thomas James ALEXANDER - Boer War  (Read 5442 times)

alex79062

Thomas James ALEXANDER - Boer War
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:28:43 PM »
Newbie here trying to pin down my greatgrandfathers service in the Boar War. I have a photo of him in uniform showing a rather poorly defined capbadge which look very much like the Manchesters.

What puzzles me though is that he came from Surrey - and he may have been an artilleryman of some sort. Does this stack up?

I've attached a photo (he's the one on the left! - couldn't work out how to crop the others out)

Is there a source where records can be searched? (National Archives I suppose - any records held by the regiment?)

Hope someone can shed a little light.

Many thanks

Barry Alexander
(ex-Royal Marine from the 60's)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:16:39 PM by harribobs »

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Thomas James ALEXANDER - Boar War
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 10:06:15 PM »
hi barry

and welcome to the group

personally i can't say whether he was with the manchesters in boer war but hopefully some of our south african experts will be able to tell us

the uniform in the picture looks more WW1 to me but unfortunately it is too small for me to make out the detail. can you scan it again, at a higher resolution, on it's own and we should be able to tell more

cheers

chris
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:10:04 PM by harribobs »
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

alex79062

Re: Thomas James ALEXANDER - Boar War
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 06:49:54 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Chris,

As you say, the uniform appears to be the 'new' service dress that came into service in 1902 but at that date he would have been about 40yrs old - too old to serve in WWI at 54yrs but just about OK for the Boar War (unless of course, he served in the Boar and was then a reservist for a while with his new uniform - the cap badge does look similar to the reservists pattern).

I have scanned the photo again at a higher resolution which hopefully will allow a clearer picture of the cap badge when you enlarge the image.

Again, thanks for the help,

Regards,

Barry

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Thomas James ALEXANDER - Boer War
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:14:22 PM »
hi barry

he certainly looks well over 40 i'd say, so i suspect he may have been serving in an admin position, certainly with prior service he would have found a position

the photo is still very small mate,(28k) we can host photos upto 500k so have another go

i'll move this to the boer war section

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

sphinx

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »
This photo is taken post 1914 as he is wearing a 1914 leather equipment belt.

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 01:01:19 AM »
This photo is taken post 1914 as he is wearing a 1914 leather equipment belt.

...or an 1888 pattern Slade-Wallis belt (which had the snake clasp too) - not to be confused with the 1882 pattern which fastened differently. The only way to be completely certain is to see the rear (which is, obviously, impossible here!). However, his SD jacket appears to be of the type that was issued only after 1907 (unless the shoulder straps are removeable - then that would date the photo to be circa 1902-1904 (though I'd expect him to be wearing a Broderick if this was the case)!)

However - me being picky apart - I'd agree with sphinx and say that the photo is almost certainly post-1914. If pressed , i'd say the cap badge was General Service (doesn't look large enough to be be Manc Reg to me).

Dave
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:07:14 AM by Fritz Bayer »

alex79062

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »
Chris, Sphinx and Fritz,

Thanks very much for your imput - concensus seems to be a WWI uniform so I'll try approaching it from a desk jockey in General Service perspective.

I'll come back and let you know what I manage to unearth.

Thanks again,

Barry