Author Topic: Nicholls Pond Pretoria 1909 and more!  (Read 2919 times)

sambonben

Nicholls Pond Pretoria 1909 and more!
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:24:27 PM »
Hello there, My name is cathy and I am wondering if anybody can help me with 3 photographs of my ancestors, one photograph is of a man in uniform within a frame for the Manchester regiment...any idea of time line for this photo? The other two are I believe photographs of the same man (perhaps all 3 are of the same man..or maybe I am dealing with 2 separate people not sure yet!) One of these two show two men outside a tent with the words Nicholls Pond, Transvaal 1909 along with a few other not so clear letters of words.  The men appear to be wearing jodpurs...it has been suggested maybe they were of a mounted division left behind to police the place leading up to the joining of the provinces?  The third photo shows a man on horseback in fiull uniform, who I believe to possibly be the same man as the one by the tent.  Obviously the man in the Manchester regiment is one of your soldiers...did you also have a mounted division?  I believe these men to be possible Uncles of mine, born and died well before my time though, and I have no survivors to ask more information from!  They may well have had the name Richard (Dick) Butterworth, OR last name Barlow or Emery (born in or out of wedlock..who knows!) OR Frank C. Butterworth (again maybe Barlow or Emery)  I do tend to favor Butterworth for both of them though.  Any help would be most gratefully received.
Thanks

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: Nicholls Pond Pretoria 1909 and more!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »
The soldier in the Manchester Regiment uniform was with the 4th (Militia)Battalion.  They did not go to South Africa as a battalion but sent many of their soldiers to the 1st and 2nd battalions in SA as reinforcements.

The men in breechers at Pretoria in 1909 could possibly be serving wth the South Africa Police.  Many soldiers either transferred whilst in SA or went out after they had returned to England.

The uniform of the soldier on horseback certainly looks like a cavalry regiment.  Nothing to do with the Manchesters.
Robert

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: Nicholls Pond Pretoria 1909 and more!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:41:22 AM »
An error in my earlier reply on this subject.  This 4th Battalion was not militia but one of the two regular army battalions raised in 1900 and disbanded in December 1906. Everything else is correct.
Robert