Author Topic: LT. F. Hammond (C.E) Manchester Regt.  (Read 20253 times)

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: LT. F. Hammond (C.E) Manchester Regt.
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 09:55:02 PM »
Hi Dave,

Why don't you start a new thread, and we'll see if anyone knows what the procedure should have been, it'll be interesting to know.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

tisgrannie

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 01:10:09 AM »
Hi I hope this link works, it was a family from N Ireland who went to Russia. I thought that it gave a similar problem regarding Birth Certs. I hope the Boyd family don't mind my taking a look at it on here.
Just a read through.
tisgrannie

http://clanboyd.info/outsideusa/russia/

James W

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2007, 07:51:48 AM »
Hi I hope this link works, it was a family from N Ireland who went to Russia. I thought that it gave a similar problem regarding Birth Certs. I hope the Boyd family don't mind my taking a look at it on here.
Just a read through.
tisgrannie

http://clanboyd.info/outsideusa/russia/

I came across this very same piece yesterday, the only thing that sets it apart for me from James Walter Ford is that he was born in Moscow, so a trip to the consular shouldn't have been an issue, unless they were very busy, or lazy! ::) 

Very interesting reading though and thanks for posting it, I think that the next step to take this further is the marriage certificate, I hope after all this he was born to someone interesting ???

James W

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »
The British consular in Moscow does not hold any records from the 19th century in case anyone else finds the need to follow this route, you have to contact the local archives which seem to be self funded and in a poor state!

liverpool annie

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2007, 07:36:16 PM »

Hi James !

You may want to check the "The London Gazette" site - they have Naturalisation Notices !

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?geotype=London

Also heres some web sites .... mightn't find what you want .... but it'll be interesting !!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/6587/Russia.html

I also have a friend in the Ukraine who said he would help with translations if you need him !!

Annie  :)

liverpool annie

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2007, 07:53:39 PM »

And here's a couple more suggestions

Try IGI under Russia

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

You may have already been here .... but just in case !!  ::)

Introduction to Russian Genealogy

http://genealogy.about.com/library/authors/uckroutikhin.htm

Annie  :)

James W

« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2007, 08:56:11 AM »
Wow, thanks for that Annie, I shall look through that and see what I can find.  I will let you know, and please thank your friend in the Ukraine for their kind offer.  ;D ;D ;D

James W

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2007, 08:22:14 PM »
....and so the plot thickens  ???

After recieving a copy of my great grand parents marriage certificate in order to find out who my great great grandfather was and what he was doing in Russia, we discovered his name was Henry Ford and his profession was listed as a trainer?  Trainer of what...I am hoping he was training car builders/designers and I have a huge pile of cash waiting for me somewhere, I can tell you, it is hard typing with my fingers crossed  ;D

The next thing that has been discovered, which you lovely people maybe able to help me with.  My grandfather, who is really becoming interested in all of this, was going through his mothers belongings and found a letter, or notice to Wallace Hammond, Lt Wallace Hammond, from the NSW Bank in Sydney, Australia informing him of post to be collected.  We believe this to be the New South Wales bank.  So here is the bit you may be able to help with.  Were the Manchester regiment ever posted to Australia in any capacity?  My grandfathers name is Wallace, could Frederick and Wallace be the same person?  Anyone ever felt as though the more they dig, the deeper the hole gets and it is harder to see out? Don't go out of your way to answer the last question! ::)

There was a Canadian heritage rumour going on earlier in the family and now it seems to be some sort of Australian thing!  I think that we may be Chinese but my brother Barry Wong doesn't think so. ;D ;D (Excuse my poor attempt at humour but you never know!!!!)

Any help or knowledge that may help, will, as always, be very very welcome

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 06:06:09 PM »
....and so the plot thickens  ???

So it does  ;D and trainer is not helpful is it !!!

I wonder if the records from the bank are held in any Oz archive  :o

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

James W

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2007, 11:22:36 AM »
It won't do any harm to ask, the records are pretty old so maybe they will surrender some info?

Bryo

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2009, 02:45:10 PM »
In 1881 Annie and Lizzie are with their brother, Walter, and widowed mother Louise James.
Daisy is a nurse child with another family.
Walter was born in Moscow about 1866, so it looks more likely that they are James siblings.
Perhaps his mother remarried or maybe he didn't like being James W James.

Dave

My cousin Caroline and I are researching the Brown(e) family (Henrietta 56 and Alice 18), who were looking after Daisy James in 1881 at Brighton. We have only just stumbled over this thread so my apologies for not making an earlier connection!
Have you done any further research with the James/Ford families? We have found it one of the most confusing lines we have ever come across and are just about to order some certificates to put some solid facts in place. Also, have you discovered the reason why Walter changed his name from James to Ford?
Cheers,
Brian.