Author Topic: LT. F. Hammond (C.E) Manchester Regt.  (Read 20263 times)

James W

Re: LT. F. Hammond (C.E) Manchester Regt.
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 06:30:34 PM »
Wendi, where in the FIND MY PAST web site to I find the registry of overseas index, I took a look there but could not find the way  ???

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 07:08:17 PM »
http://www.findmypast.com/BirthsMarriagesDeaths.jsp

It's the 3rd one down, Births - British overseas 1761 - 1994
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

slob

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 07:11:17 PM »
I don't know whether all the info is the same but Find my Past is a pay per view website, but most, if not all, of the overseas indices are on www.familyrelatives.com which is free, you have to register first.

Dave

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 07:34:14 PM »
Nice one Dave! no point in paying if you don't have to  ;D
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2007, 10:27:12 PM »
There are 3 F.Hammond's officers service records at NA Kew.

WO339/130705 1914-1922 F.Hammond.

WO374/30576 1906-1920, 1932. F.Hammond.

WO37430577 1916-1920 F.Hammond.

James W

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 09:26:28 AM »
That is god, that will save me time when I get there, then just to identify him but maybe I can see that from the dates?
Thank you.

As for the overseas birth records, I couldn't find him listed on the link that you posted slob, maybe I need to sign up to the pay per view site, but will that be any different before i flash the cash?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:48:50 AM by James W »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: Help to find information on a Manchester Regiment Soldier
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 10:15:32 AM »
Thanks themonsstar, that's valuable info  ;)

Frederick Hammond, 2nd Lt. Manchester Regt.  29.6.1917,  Lt. 29.12.1918 and Reserve 18.1.1920

James, don't "flash the cash" the info will be identical, and I could not see him either. It's possible that his parents did not register him  :-\ 

The next best option is to get his marriage cert and see what it says about his fathers occupation.

Maxwell Beresford Ford (Name wrong way around on the census, we have the Birth Certificate) was in Japan 1914 to 1918 teaching the Japs to fly
  Just a thought, it could be that the photo you mention in your first post is infact Maxwell not F Hammond  :-\

James W

Re: Help to find information on a Manchester Regiment Soldier
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 05:35:28 PM »
Thanks themonsstar, that's valuable info  ;)

Frederick Hammond, 2nd Lt. Manchester Regt.  29.6.1917,  Lt. 29.12.1918 and Reserve 18.1.1920

James, don't "flash the cash" the info will be identical, and I could not see him either. It's possible that his parents did not register him  :-\ 

The next best option is to get his marriage cert and see what it says about his fathers occupation.

Maxwell Beresford Ford (Name wrong way around on the census, we have the Birth Certificate) was in Japan 1914 to 1918 teaching the Japs to fly
  Just a thought, it could be that the photo you mention in your first post is infact Maxwell not F Hammond  :-\

The photo we have is definately not Maxwell, I knew him as a child (he lived to a very old age...honest  ::)) and as a young man he looked like a young Bing Crosby and my grandparents would recognise him.  I am going to mail the British Consular in Moscow and see if they can direct me on finding a birth certificate there, or maybe I would be wasting my time if it is not on the overseas register?  I will also see if we can find his mariage certificate.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 06:52:26 PM »
I am going to mail the British Consular in Moscow and see if they can direct me on finding a birth certificate there, or maybe I would be wasting my time if it is not on the overseas register?

Good idea !  If you don't ask you'll never know  ;)  Once you get the marriage cert we might see if they were issued with passports, rare things back then but it's a possible depending upon what they were doing out there

Take it easy !

Wendi

slob

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 07:23:59 PM »
You do have to take care when using the indexing to the Overseas Records.
Some of the entries appear on an image that comes under the previous letter.
For instance, if the first image under H starts with Head, Hammond might be on the last I image.

However, I've looked at them as well and couldn't find your man.
It's not the first name I've looked for and not found - there was a sailor who went down with his ship at Jutland that I searched for. I assume he must be somewhere, but I couldn't find him.

Cheers,
    Dave

James W

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 07:47:59 PM »
I have e mailed the consular in Moscow now so I shall see what they come up with and obviously keep you informed.

Thanks again folks.   ;D

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 07:51:23 PM »
We just won't go away will we  :D

I have a British Subject born in France who is not on there either, I understand it was kinda a voluntary thing for the parents to do if they wished or were well educated enough to know the Consulate/Embassy kept such records  :-\

Dave did you find him on CWGC? In that instance it would have been up to "the authorities" to enter him wouldn't it?

James W ~ it might also be worth contacting the Overseas section direct at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/births/obtainingbirthcertificates/howtoverseas.asp

And what about James W  Jnr. :o ;D

James W

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »
We just won't go away will we  :D

I have a British Subject born in France who is not on there either, I understand it was kinda a voluntary thing for the parents to do if they wished or were well educated enough to know the Consulate/Embassy kept such records  :-\

Dave did you find him on CWGC? In that instance it would have been up to "the authorities" to enter him wouldn't it?

James W ~ it might also be worth contacting the Overseas section direct at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/births/obtainingbirthcertificates/howtoverseas.asp

And what about James W  Jnr. :o ;D

My little James W is registered here in Sweden and we have to pay 151 pounds to register him as a BS at the  British consular here, we travelled home to register him and they wouldn't let us, he can have a UK passport though, normal cost for that, whereas to register him in the UK, had he been born there would be free!
I shall follow up all these lines and see what I get, thanks...once again ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:03:55 PM by Wendi »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 09:04:19 PM »
Perhaps history is repeating itself  ;D ;D ;D

slob

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2007, 09:47:48 PM »
The sailor I was looking for went down on the Queen Mary, a battlecruiser, and there were only a handful of survivors. I couldn't, easily, see any of the crew recorded in the indexes. I was wondering what happened in those circumstances, presumably they were missing in action for a while, a few were picked up by the Germans so their fate wouldn't have been known for a while.
There are lots of other naval casualties in the marine deaths index of the time, the ship's names are recorded.
I was looking for a friend so gave up after a while, but it would be nice to know what the procedure was.

Dave