Author Topic: LT. F. Hammond (C.E) Manchester Regt.  (Read 20264 times)

James W

LT. F. Hammond (C.E) Manchester Regt.
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to search for my Great Grandfather who my Grandfather never knew, not because he died....as far as I know, but because his parents were not married, so he knows nothing of his background. All I have to go on is a tag, it is silver in colour and cicular with two holes on each side which could just be an ID tag for some part of the uniform? It reads>

LT. F. Hammond (C.E) Manchester Regt.

We have one photo of him and that is extremely small and in it he appears to be wearing a flying helmet, it is also rumoured in the family that he was Canadian.

I touted the same question at the Great War Forum and was kindly redirected here.  I live in Sweden now so it is difficult for me to visit Kew often, so any help would be appreciated.

Somebody very kindly told me that there are only three Hammonds listed and the only F Hammond was a 2nd Lt: as info here:

Description Medal card of Hammond, Frederick
Corps Regiment No Rank
2nd Royal Highlanders 533 Private
23rd Manchester Regiment  Second Lieutenant
 Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/8 
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Unfortunately we know only this much about him, if indeed this is him.

If anyone could throw some more light on this, I would be extremely grateful, or at least some guidance on how about to go about this search. my grandfather is quirte keen to find out more about his father.....now he is 87!!!

Thank you.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:36:18 PM by harribobs »

Offline sphinx

Re: Help to find information on a Manchester Regiment Soldier
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 08:30:25 PM »
Frederick Hammond, 2nd Lt. Manchester Regt.  29.6.1917,  Lt. 29.12.1918 and Reserve 18.1.1920

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 09:03:18 PM »
hi james

welcome to the group, the information that sphinx has posted comes from the battalion Roll of Officers, the good news is, he's the only Hammond

Simon, is the first date, 29.6.1917, the date of his commission?

chris
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 11:38:33 PM by harribobs »
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 09:56:12 PM »
if he went into the reserves in 1920, would he still be in reserve after 1922?  ( i am wondering where his service docs are now btw)

chris

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: LT. F. Hammond (C.E) Manchester Regt.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:05:36 AM »
Hi James and Welcome to The Forum  ;D

Have you been able to find any of the Hammond Family on the 1901 Census?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline sphinx

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 08:09:40 PM »
29.6.1917 is the date he became a 2nd Lt. in the Manchester Regiment.  In all likelyhood his first regiment, but not 100% certain.

James W

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 08:08:52 PM »
Hi James and Welcome to The Forum  ;D

Have you been able to find any of the Hammond Family on the 1901 Census?

Excuse my complete ignorance, but where do I find that?  The thing is Wendi, we only have the tag, so we are not even sure what the "F" in his name stands for, we can only assume at this time that the afforementioned soldier is my GGF.  I pressume that the 1901 census is a voting register of that time and this could list any number of F Hammond's, then again maybe not?  I shall google the census and take a look anyway, something may just jump out and bite me on the bum  ::) ;D

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 08:29:47 PM »
James

the good news is that there's only one Lt F Hammond in the Manchesters and thats :-

Frederick Hammond, 2nd Lt. Manchester Regt.  29.6.1917,  Lt. 29.12.1918 and Reserve 18.1.1920

so that's who your dog tag belongs to and that's the man you're looking for

have a look at Dave's dog tag section and see if you recognise the type

http://pathsofglory.co.uk/identity_discs.htm

chris

tisgrannie

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 08:36:06 PM »
Do you have any idea where he lived or was from. You mentioned a possible Canadian. Where did that info come from? Where was your grandfather born?
may help in search for info.
regards
tisgrannie

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:37:59 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Serious questions

1. Do you live in Britain?  In essence a register of all peoples living in England & Wales (Scotland is slightly different) has been taken every 10 years since 1841, released to the public every 100 years, so the 1901 census is available to try to track family !

2. Does your Grandfather have his birth certificate?

As your family holds the tag, and there is only one in the Regiment, as Chris says, I suspect you can be reasonably sure your G Grandfather is Frederick.

Now lets see where we can go from here  ;D

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:10:50 AM by Wendi »
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:41:41 PM »
just to fill in a few details, James doesn't live in england, sweden if i remember correctly and the dog tag is the only link he has to his grandfather

tisgrannie

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 11:08:44 PM »
Hi I did ask where his Granddad was born. This may help with a census search. I noticed that  James W said "I live in Sweden now so it is difficult for me to visit Kew often, so any help would be appreciated." I assumed that he was from here.
regards
tisgrannie

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
Sorry James you wrote in your first post that you were in Sweden  ::)

and the dog tag is the only link he has to his grandfather

my grandfather is quirte keen to find out more about his father.....now he is 87!!!

Just to make it clear, I was asking if the 87 year old has his own birth certificate  ;)

James W

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 11:50:37 AM »
Yes, my grandfather has his birth certificate but the name of father was omitted, however my grandfathers name was listed on the certificate as Hammond, but he has always gone by our surname of Ford which was his mothers surname, so she used his fathers name even though they were not married.....now I need to find out if my grandfathers marriage was legal as he used Ford for that and has never legally changed his name, my grandmother finds that very amusing, really!

Anyway, yes, I am in Sweden.  I have looked at the census and there are alot of F Hammonds to search through.  I looked for my Gf's mum and she was not listed on it, she was born 1900, how complete and accurate is the census?

Thanks for all the info

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 09:35:02 PM »
Your welcome James ! 

(Don't tell your grandma) but I think the union is legal  ;D  In there are really no "hard and fast rules" to this day regarding names, although after WW1 they did become more formalised.

1901 England and Wales Census shows no Frederick Hammond from Canada at all, however the Canadian Census indicates 3 and in 1911, 6  ~ to which, sadly I don't have access.

Did the link you were given to the Canadian Attestation papers prove useful, the one for Fred Hammond looked a good match for a Manchester Regiment chap?

What was your GGF Mum's full name?