Author Topic: Private Joseph Brooks  (Read 3504 times)

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: Private Joseph Brooks
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2020, 09:30:27 PM »
Adrian,
If you can be patient FMP, Ancestry and the like usually have free access around 11th November.

As far as I am aware war diaries can still be downloaded from the TNA for free https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-war-diaries-1914-1922/

Charlie

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2020, 07:39:02 AM »
Hi Adrian,
The relevant pages from FMP are part of the service record of 15686 Albert Irving.  You can view it on Ancestry.
Otherwise FMP adds nothing.
Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline adrianjb01

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 03:17:49 PM »
Hi Tim
Been away for awhile, just recently looked at Manchester Co-op battle of the Somme book, which I gather you are the author of. Noticed on Page 25 there are two images from newscuttings regarding troops injured at Trones wood. Just wondered which archive or link these came from? Just seeing if I can find any relevant information on injuries reported that could be linked to my grandfather.
Many thanks in advance for any info available on where to find the archive links.
Kind regards
Adrian

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2021, 04:54:10 PM »
Hi Adrian,
The newspaper reports come from the online British Library National Newspaper Archive.  You can subscribe direct or through FMP. I can't see any articles on your Joseph Brooks.
Tim
ps I'm glad someone reads my eBooks.  I write these for the journey, but it's more worthwhile if people actually engage with them!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:01:23 PM by Tim Bell »

Offline adrianjb01

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 07:40:10 PM »
Thanks for the info  Tim

I have recently been looking at another e-book for which you are the co-author "The Forgotten Battalion" again very interesting read. I note the random /mixture of Regiment Numbers, which as you quoted previously that this is the Battalion my Grandfather was probably transferred to. I have recently come across additional information, including a photograph of Private Joseph Brooks along with two other soldiers (unknown). It is on a postcard with the name of the photographer on the back.
photographer - H J Seaman 35, Nevill Street, Southport.
I have two attachments to send a photo for reference. Not sure if it should be posted elsewhere on the forum  so it can be accessed by others to refer to? Private Joseph Brooks is in the middle.
Also info to follow up from his return home from convalescing in Wales,  to his home in Ramsbottom. It is an article from the Bury Times 3rd March 1917, where his Father the Landlord at The Wellington Inn was in court for breaching licensing rules.
Many thanks for you help and information so far, it has been a fascinating insight to part of our family of which no-one seemed to mention or refer to.

Kind regards
Adrian

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2022, 08:10:28 AM »
Thanks for the info  Tim

I have recently been looking at another e-book for which you are the co-author "The Forgotten Battalion" again very interesting read. I note the random /mixture of Regiment Numbers, which as you quoted previously that this is the Battalion my Grandfather was probably transferred to. I have recently come across additional information, including a photograph of Private Joseph Brooks along with two other soldiers (unknown). It is on a postcard with the name of the photographer on the back.
photographer - H J Seaman 35, Nevill Street, Southport.
I have two attachments to send a photo for reference. Not sure if it should be posted elsewhere on the forum  so it can be accessed by others to refer to? Private Joseph Brooks is in the middle.
Also info to follow up from his return home from convalescing in Wales,  to his home in Ramsbottom. It is an article from the Bury Times 3rd March 1917, where his Father the Landlord at The Wellington Inn was in court for breaching licensing rules.
Many thanks for you help and information so far, it has been a fascinating insight to part of our family of which no-one seemed to mention or refer to.

Kind regards
Adrian

The photo taken in Southport supports the evidence that Joseph trained at Altcar. and confirms the Manchesters.  I'm intrigued as to who the other chaps are in the image.  The young man on the right appears to have a family resemeblance.
The story of the lock-in is great. There's no mention of Joseph being wounded on his visit, so this would have been 10 days leave or possibly furlough after recovering in hospital.  One of my Gt Grandad's had a pub in Chadderton.  It's good to have a specific place to visit as our family heritage, albeit I haven't yet...
Where did you see the Bury Times article?  Was this from a visit to the archives, or have I missed some further online records?
Tim

Offline adrianjb01

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2022, 08:26:58 PM »
Hi Tim
After being wounded / recovering my Grandfather never returned to fight in the war (as far as I am aware).

I heard from a relation regarding the licensing charge, so just trawled through the Bury Times archives in the local library, from July 1916 (time of being reported wounded) onwards, thinking if the story was true then it would be in a newspaper somewhere.   The former pub is now a restaurant about 10 yards from the Railway Station in Ramsbottom, part of the facade is listed, so the former front entrance retains its architectural features. It is a lovely place to visit regarding our family heritage and when I have gathered any additional information, I intend to visit and tell the current owner the story.
My Grandfather was an only son & as far as I am aware, no other relatives enlisted or fought in WW1, I assume they must have been good friends in the picture?
Still think I have a bit more information to investigate now I have approx dates of his wounding, convalescing in Newport & homecoming / return to civilian life. I am keen to find out more about his enlisting, Also he is supposedly mentioned in a Roll of Honour from the Local Methodist church.
Thanks again for your help on this matter
Adrian