Author Topic: Harry Brindley MM 44694  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Stokelass

Harry Brindley MM 44694
« on: June 28, 2009, 10:17:40 PM »
I am a family history researcher with quite a lot of knowledge but very little knowledge of military history research.  I would welcome your help.  My great uncles details (taken from CWGC website) are
HARRY BRINDLEY MM, COMPANY SGT MAJOR, 44694, 17TH BN MANCH REG, DIED 22.3.18, BURIED SAVY BRITISH CEMETERY.

The following information was taken from Soldiers died in the Great War. BORN NORMACOT, STAFFS (NOW PART OF STOKE ON TRENT)
ENLISTED DOVER, KILLED IN ACTION, TOW FRANCE & FLANDERS, FORMERLY 13954 ROYAL FUSILIERS

I have a copy of MIC for his MM only (cat ref: WO 372/23). I don't have MIC for his other medals which I assume he must have. His MIC for his MM shows he was a Sgt 19th BN. Date of Gazette 9.7.17 and I have a copy of the listing from the Gazette. I've recently visited Manch Cathedral and have seen his name in the Rolls of Honour in the Regiments Chapel. My questions are

I am confused by by the connections with the Royal Fusiliers and the Manch Reg. His brother Joseph enlisted in N Staffs Reg in Stoke on Trent.  I would have thought Harry would have done the same. Did he switch regiments in Dover? I know there was a lot of movement from one regiment to another during this war.

Can I find out when and where he orginally enlisted and the dates he moved from one regiment to another? I am aware of the service records but haven't made it to Kew yet. I have access to ancestry at my local archives.

His MM was listed in the London Gazette on 9.7.17. How long before this would the action have taken place for which it was granted and is it likely that this would feature in the war diaries?

Have you a copy of MIC for his other medals.

My grandmother (Harry's sister) was the next of kin. We have Harrys "dead mans penny" in the family but not his medals. We do have his brother Josephs medals and dead mans penny.  We assume that they would all be delivered at the same time along with Harrys citation (which we do not have).  Can you confirm my theory.

Are there any web sites for locating medals from WWI.  I would love to locate Harrys medals and bring them back into the family. How much would a set of medals including MM cost on average.

I haven't got a copy of the death cert. Is there likely to be any more info on it than what I already know? His his name likely to be listed in the war diaries taking into account that he was a CSM. I know thats a lot of questions but I hope you can help. Thanks.

timberman

Re: Harry Brindley MM 44694
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:31:09 PM »
Hi Stokelass

Welcome to the forum.
You have a lot of questions there hopefully we'll be able to help.

To start you off, his Medal index card is on Ancestry under the name Harvey Brindley, it's just a typo as on the Mic the name is right.

Click on the mic to make it bigger or save it to your computer.
Timberman :)

timberman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
Hi Stokelass

On the MIC he went to france with the Royal Fusiliers as he got the 1915 star with them and sometime later transfered to the Manchester's.

Timberman

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 11:18:07 PM »
From the 1915 Star roll.
13954 Pte H.Brindley RF, 44694 WOII Manchester Regt. KinA Medals returned (1745 KR.1912 3/1/24).

From the BWM & VM roll.
13954 Pte H.Brindley 6th Bn RF.
13954 Pte H.Brindley 9th Bn RF.
44694 H.Brindley 19th Bn Manch Regt.
44694 WOII H.Brindley 17th Bn Manch Regt.

From the MM roll
44694 Sgt H.Brindley 19th Bn Manch Regt,9th July 1917.

If you do find his medals they should be named up to him in the RF Regt, the MM should be name to him in the Manchester Regt.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:58:55 AM »
His MM was listed in the London Gazette on 9.7.17. How long before this would the action have taken place for which it was granted and is it likely that this would feature in the war diaries?

I haven't got a copy of the death cert. Is there likely to be any more info on it than what I already know? His his name likely to be listed in the war diaries

a rough rule of thumb the action would be approx 3 months prior to being gazetted

there is very little/no chance of there being any further information on the death Certificate
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Stokelass

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:18:54 PM »
For the attention of themonsstar

Thanks for you for the reply to my post.  However I want to ask some no doubt silly questions as my knowledge of military history is limited. 

What are the medal rolls, where are they kept and is it possible to view them or copies of them?  Are the listings on the rolls in date order and the ranks shown those when Harry joined the Regt or Bn?

Re the details regarding the 1915 Star Roll.  I do not understand the following:
KinA Medals returned (1745 KR.1912 3/1/24)
Can you please explain what this means.

Thank you to timberman and harribobs for their replies.  Also does anyone know if the service records for BRINDLEY are on ancestry.  I understand from other posts that they are at present being transcribed.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 10:36:49 PM »

What are the medal rolls, where are they kept and is it possible to view them or copies of them?  Are the listings on the rolls in date order and the ranks shown those when Harry joined the Regt or Bn?

Re the details regarding the 1915 Star Roll.  I do not understand the following:
KinA

the medal rolls are the lists of soldiers and what medals they were entitled to, they are kept at Kew, the national archives, yes you can view them, we do have some copies, no they don't show when men joined

K in A  killed in action

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 07:48:46 AM »
Very late to this thread, but thouht I should add some details.
Harry's Effects were left to his sister Ellen (Nellie), who also received a Dependent's Pension at 262 Uttoxoter St, Longton, Staffs. (Wonder if Nellie is Stokelass' Granny)
Harry had trained with 6th R Fusils at Dover before posting overseas with 9th New Army Bn.  At some stage he was wounded or sick and transferred to 19th Manchesters after recovery, guestimated as summer 1916.  He will have been transferred to 17th Bttn on 06/02/1918, when 19th Bttn was disbanded.
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/