Author Topic: Alfred Burley 1st Battalion Manchester Regiment  (Read 495 times)

Offline steveg

Re: Alfred Burley 1st Battalion Manchester Regiment
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
Hi Issy
attached is a pic of Alfred cropped from the group photo
My Great grandfather Bil Currie is 2 along from Alfred in the group photo, his brother Joseph was killed on the same day Issy won his VC

Offline Issylee

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2021, 12:04:10 PM »
Hi Issy
attached is a pic of Alfred cropped from the group photo
My Great grandfather Bil Currie is 2 along from Alfred in the group photo, his brother Joseph was killed on the same day Issy won his VC
Wow. Thanks Steve. I have been writing about this man for the past year, with no idea what he looked like. Very sad about Joseph. It was a very fine line between a medal and certain death. Indeed it was often sheer luck that you stayed alive at all. If Issy had been a cat, he would have used all of his nine lives. Thank you for posting this. Lian

Offline Issylee

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 05:10:28 AM »
Just search Surname and you'll find MR00746 & MR03573
I'd wondered what connection there was with Issy Smith VC and now see the two men were married to two sisters.
I can't find any Death Certificate for Alfred in 1940. All other candidates with 1888 (Born 14/03/1888 on 1939 register) birth don't fit other than a chap who died in Kettering in Q2 1941.  This may or may not be your Alfred, but I can't prove it's not.  Without a Death Certificate for a blitz death we cannot progress with CWGC.
If you have a tree on Ancestry please send me a link and I can cross check the records you've seen.  I think you've got everything incl 1939 Register & census, Workhouse & school records, birth and marriage, medal rolls for Delhi Durbar, Great War, Iraq etc etc (6 medals held in Regimental Museum). FMP Fold3 doesn't seem to add anything material and I can't see anything in the newspaper archive.  Here's a tree with family members, including his brother George, died on Gallipoli with London Regiment. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/32952250/person/18368632332/facts This says Alfred died in 1944 but no evidence and there are other debatable points in the tree.
Hi Tim
I received the death certificate of May 1941 - it is indeed Alfred. He died of carcinoma of the lungs with metastases. Flora was by his side. Thanks so much for your help. I have added this to the story and the manuscript about Issy has now gone to the publishers and will hopefully be published in time for Anzac Day, April 25 2022. It will likely be called 'ISSY' The Amazing Story of Sgt Issy Smith VC.