Author Topic: 8th Manchester's war memorial and roll of honour  (Read 6462 times)

Offline Krithia Spur

8th Manchester's war memorial and roll of honour
« on: March 27, 2021, 04:29:43 PM »
Does anyone know if there is anywhere the 8th Manchester's WW1 fallen are commemorated individually?

My understanding is that the memorial at Ardwick Green does not have individual inscriptions but I wondered if the the battalion's fallen were on another memorial - inside the Drill Hall perhaps?

Many thanks

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: 8th Manchester's war memorial and roll of honour
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 10:20:24 PM »
hiya krithia
i havent come across one,the closet one i know about is the one created by ken on our forum

use the forum search engine and type in.  1/8th bn database. that should bring it up

mack

Offline Keith Brannen

• Sgt James Brannen 35507
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 07:14:33 PM »
I have done something similar to kemrobson, using CWGC listings, with other added sources of information (including the Star listings, War Diary info, etc.) for the battalion. Hopefully, it is fairly accurate! See attached file.

Offline Krithia Spur

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 05:56:24 AM »
Mack/Keith,

Many thanks for your responses and the very useful ROH spreadsheet.
However, my query was specifically regarding the existence of a physical memorial where the names of the fallen of the 8th Manchesters are commemorated and would be grateful for any information about it whereabouts [should one exist].
Thanks again.

Mike Crane

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 04:09:59 PM »
Mike, the Regiment does have the Roll of Honor in Manchester Cathedral, before Covid, The Regimental Association did the Turning of the leaves. This band of Brothers he's getting smaller by the month.