Author Topic: 11th Battalion Manchester Regiment  (Read 593 times)

Offline GregH

11th Battalion Manchester Regiment
« on: March 10, 2021, 10:59:17 AM »
Hello and thanks for allowing me to join the forum.

My wife's grandfather Corporal Samuel Clarke 24047, served with the 11th Manchesters, (we have four of his medals), we have done some research and now believe he served in Gallipoli, then transfered to the western front and saw action at Thiepval, Cambrai and Ancre. We found two photos of Samuel in the book 'A District at War' (irlam & Cadishead). We can find no Service record.

Samuel Survived the war and died 2 Feb 1948, I wonder if his journey through the war can be confirmed as fact and if there is anyway to find out whether or not he was wounded, It seems if our research is correct that he served for 4 years. Of course any information would very much appreciated

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: 11th Battalion Manchester Regiment
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 08:09:39 PM »
Hello Greg and welcome to the forum.
Samuel Clarke disembarked on Gallipoli on 02.10.1915. The medal rolls only show service with the 11th Bn, so it looks like he stayed with the battalion till he was discharged and transferred to Class Z Reserve on  09.03.1919. 
What is the fourth medal which you have please?

Charlie

Offline GregH

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 05:01:33 PM »
Hi Charlie
Thanks for quick response, I have attached two photos, the first are Samuel Clarkes 24047, the second I believe belong to Samuels son Jack Owen Clarke who served in the Navy during WW2.

Further to your post, can ask How / why Samuel disembarked so late, I understand the main force of the 11th Manchester Reg went ashore 6th-7th Aug ? was held back in reserve if so can I find out where? is their any Diaries / paper work I can obtain ?

Can I ask, Are the 11th Manchester diaries from France freely available

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 05:29:55 PM »
Hello Greg
A certain amount of soldiers would have been held back as a reserve, another possibility is that he did not enlist early enough to move to Gallipoli with the main body. I don‘t know where the battalion moved to after it was formed in Ashton but I‘m sure one of the better informed members will.

The War Diary for the battalions time in France can be downloaded for free from the National Archives
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352631

The War Diary for Gallipoli is available on Ancestry and maybe Find My Past.

Only one photo has uploaded.

Charlie

Offline GregH

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 05:55:55 PM »
Sorry Charlie here's the other

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 06:19:45 PM »
hiya greg
there are two war medals,check the rims of both,the soldiers names,rank and number are stamped on them

mack

Offline GregH

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 06:32:47 PM »
Hi Mack

the three medals on the right are stamped Cpl Samuel Clarke 24047 Manchester Rgt, the medal on the left has no name on the rim.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 08:03:25 PM »
Greg, can you show the reverse of the King George VI medal please. It looks like a police long service medal, did he serve in the Police Force?

Charlie

Offline GregH

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »
reverse as requested

Offline GregH

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 08:56:24 PM »
Hi Charlie,

Samuel had no links to the police force, in fact he was a 'Soap labourer' at CWS, cadishead (as per 1939 register)

samuel is on the roll of honour for the CWS soap works,see petes book a district at war

mack
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 11:25:26 PM by mack »

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 09:16:20 PM »
It‘s a Distinguished Service Medal - a Navy bravery award - from the time of WW2. The recipients name should be on the rim. Was his son decorated?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_Service_Medal_(United_Kingdom)

Charlie

Offline GregH

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 09:56:32 PM »
His son Jack Owen Clarke was in the navy during WW2, In submarines, as far we know he wasn't decorated. I have some of his military papers these appear to be defaced for the period of about 1 year, The medal has also had the name removed from the rim. Jack died in 1968 in a drowning accident. whilst we do have a photo of him in uniform, little is know about his career, another strange medal is the Burma Star, would a submariner receive such a medal ?

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 08:02:49 AM »
Why there is an erased DSM among the medals - your guess is as good as mine.
There is a rosette on the Burma Star ribbon on the bar, which indicates that he also qualified for the Pacific Star. As only the first qualified for star was awarded a bar was issued for the other. Whether Submarines were employed in both areas is beyond my knowledge but Naval personell were eligible for both the Burma and Pacific Stars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma_Star

If you are interested in researching him further you can apply for his service record.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Charlie

Offline GregH

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 01:59:06 PM »
Many thanks Charlie,

I will in time research his Son so the link will be very useful, For now I'll concentrate on Samuel Clarke 24047 and his buddy Percy Stringer 24046(a Sniper), they joined up together and served together in Gallipoli but later Percy was transfered to the 9th Northumberlands number 41241, he was wounded 23rd July 1917 and died of wounds 12th Sept 1917 at Southern General Hospital, Birmingham aged 20.

the photo probably taken mid 1915 Samuel Clarke(left) and Percy Stringer

Offline GregH

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 04:09:56 PM »
Thanks for the info Mack.

All the medals were passed to my wife by her oldest brother, they were passed to him after Jack died.
this is copy of the record I have