Author Topic: 32538 L/Cpl. Socrates Alverti : 1st Bn. Manchester Regt.  (Read 1004 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
32538 L/Cpl. Socrates Alverti : 1st Bn. Manchester Regt.
« on: March 27, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »

This NCO was born in Altrincham, Cheshire and enlisted in Manchester.   I note that his "place of residence" was given as being in Albany, Georgia, USA.    Alverti was killed in action on the 9th January 1917 during the campaign in Mesopotamia.

He is buried in Amara War Cemetery, Iraq.   Sadly, there is no information given as to his age at death or the names of his next of kin.    PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: 32538 L/Cpl. Socrates Alverti : 1st Bn. Manchester Regt.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:41:31 PM »
hiya Philip
he was 28yrs old and unmarried,his parents were james[jacobo]and sarah alverti,his father had a tailors business and his mother had a greengrocers and fruit business,the whole family apart from his older brother Nicholas upped sticks after 1901,and moved to America,seems a strange thing to do when you have two businesses

glad to see your ok,it must seem like WW2 again for you Philip,curfews and ration queues,ive just finished putting up my black out curtains ;D ;D

mack
keep safe
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:29:16 AM by mack »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 09:34:06 AM »
Mack,

Thank you.  What sources of info. you must have.  As regards WW2 and today I can recognise some similarity.    Take care.  PhilipG.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 10:44:46 PM »
Hello!
Socrates was my great uncle. I was pleased to find your posts about him. The way I understand it, his father wound up taking bankruptcy due to his partnership in a restaurant in Manchester called The Great Britain Restaurant in the late 1880s. His mother, father, and siblings came to America, and located in Albany, Georgia. Many of them later moved to Central Illinois due to his sister's marrying a man from here. One brother, Cyril, located in New York City and apparently died there. His sister, Cleo, was the one who married Alvin Hays and moved to Decatur, Illinois, bringing the rest of the family with her.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 07:14:43 AM »
Hi Debbie,
Welcome to the forum. The pension card confirms Socrates' father was living in Decatur IL in later years.
Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 03:09:03 PM »
Thank you for the welcome! Yes, they moved to Decatur, Illinois, since his sister, Cleo, married David Alvin Hays and Alvin took a job with the Wabash Railroad. His mother died in Decatur and was taken back to Albany, Georgia, to be buried. His father continued living with them until his death, and he also was buried in Albany, Georgia, in 1930.

I had always wondered if Socrates had married, so your information was good to know.