Author Topic: World War 1 - Returned Soldiers - Are they buried in a certain place?  (Read 4894 times)

Offline cathyaus

HI everyone
I hope this isn't a dumb question but are returned soldiers from WW 1 buried in a special cemetery ??

As some of you have seen from my other topic I am trying to find out information about  Pte Eddie Sedgwick - 1/6th Manchester Regiment.

Eddie Sedgwick is my husband's grandfather. Eddie died 22 nd October 1957. His address was listed as 19 Brockley Ave Manchester . His Will states 19 Brockley Ave, Rusholme, Manchester.

Eddie was buried / cremated by his son (now deceased) & I cannot find out where he is buried or cremated. I have checked Manchester Burials On line but nothing comes up for him.

No one in the family knows where Eddie is buried & no one knew about him serving in WW 1. The rest of the Sedgwick family that I have been tracing from this immediate line are all buried in Southern Cemetery.

Does anyone have any ideas where he may be buried?
Cathy

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
cath.
do you know which church that eddie got married in.
its just an idea,he may have had a funeral service from the same church,they may have records.

mack

tisgrannie

Hi just read your other link after posting this. You are a bit far from Rusholme. I suggest you email the enquiry. The records office are very helpful,  I have found! I'll have a nosey around too.
tisgrannie

Hi, I sympathise with you I have been in the same position. What religion was he do you know? Its really a process of elimination. Have you checked the recoprds at Southern Cemetery. Is there a RC Cemetery there as mack asked was it a local Churchyard. You could also check th eobituaries in the local paper at the time. That depends on circumstances, I had to consider if they could have afforded to pay for that with mine. Someone will know somewhere. Some local Cemetery offices  charge a fee. Mine will let you go and look at the records for that time period. So I guess it would be finding what Cemeteries were available to you at that time from that address!
Thinking the Records Office in Manchester or the Local Interest Centre in Rusholme. I could email an enquiry out to the Record office Or you could ring them.

Family Records Centre
Greater Manchester County Record Office
56 Marshall Street, New Cross Manchester M4 5FU Tel:             
 0161 832 5284        E-mail: archives@gmcro.co.uk Web: www.gmcro.co.uk

Are you in the North West? If not I would be happy to chase it up for you.
regards
tisgrannie

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 07:28:24 AM by tisgrannie »

tisgrannie

Hello again, I googled Rusholme and got  this link. have a look through.
tisgrannie

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Rusholme/

Offline cathyaus

cath.
do you know which church that eddie got married in.
its just an idea,he may have had a funeral service from the same church,they may have records.

mack
Hi Mack
Eddie was married in 1920 at St Edward's Church Rusholme

Offline cathyaus

What religion was he do you know? Its really a process of elimination. Have you checked the recoprds at Southern Cemetery. Is there a RC Cemetery there as mack asked was it a local Churchyard. You could also check th eobituaries in the local paper at the time. That depends on circumstances, I had to consider if they could have afforded to pay for that with mine. Someone will know somewhere. Some local Cemetery offices  charge a fee. Mine will let you go and look at the records for that time period. So I guess it would be finding what Cemeteries were available to you at that time from that address!
Thinking the Records Office in Manchester or the Local Interest Centre in Rusholme. I could email an enquiry out to the Record office Or you could ring them.

Are you in the North West? If not I would be happy to chase it up for you.
regards

Hi Tisgrannie

Eddie Sedgwick was Church of England but his wife was RC - that's why they were married in a Catholic Church.
I have searched Manchester burials on Line & also had some special help  ;)at locating his burial but no luck.

Eddie & his wife were seperated or divorced. His son (my husband's father - now deceased) lived in Somerset at the time of Eddie's death & came up to Manchester to organise the funeral. Almost 3 months later he had to return to do it all again as his mother had died. For whatever reason - the paperwork for the mother was kept (- so we know that she is buried in Southern Cemetery in Rc section.) but there is no paperwork for Eddie !! Mother - in - law doesn't know(or won't say) where her husband buried his father . We are having a few issues with her at the moment as she doesn't like all the "dirt" that I am digging up with the family research ! ( there is no dirt - as far as I am concerned & when you ask her any questions like "do you know where Eddie is buried" - you get a very terse "NO").

I am in Australia by the way - which makes it very hard to get information unless it is on line. Eddie is the last one in the line that I am trying to find. My sister in law - Eddie's grandaughter is going to England next year & will be doing a special trip to Manchester to visit the graves of the other 6 Sedgwicks that I have found (some with extra special help) at Southern Cemetery in Manchester.

I have emailed 'ops.cemeteries@manchester.gov.uk' to see if they can help me - so will have to wait & see what comes out of that.
Thanks for you help & keep the suggestions coming .....
Cathy

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
cath.
if you google the manchester online image collection,theres a brilliant photo of the inside of st.edwards church,looking towards the altar.

mack ;D

Offline cathyaus

Thanks mack !
Have now checked that out - didn't know it was there before !
Cathy

Offline cathyaus

Re: World War 1 - Returned Soldiers - Are they buried in a certain place?
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
Mission Completed !!
I have found what happened to my husband's grandfather. He was Cremated & his ashes scattered in the Garden of Remembrance at Manchester Crematorium.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 06:28:23 AM »
thats great news cath.

mack ;D

Offline cathyaus

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »
Thanks Mack - I was over the moon when I found out !

PS. I also managed to get the Absent Voters List for Moss Side for the particular street I was after from a seller that was selling it on Ebay & did me a huge favour copying the small section that I wanted as he was only posting it to UK & not Australia. So you won't have me bugging you any more about the AVL for Moss Side  ;D

tisgrannie

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 10:01:10 PM »
Well done on finding where Eddie ended up. Perserverence does pay off. Its nice having you around. Still pop in now and again.
Families are starange aren't they. My cousin fell out with me because I was according to her "digging up the dirt". There was only dirt in her part of the family, tee hee!
Best wishes
Cathy
tisgrannie

Offline cathyaus

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 09:53:26 AM »
Thanks tisgrannie
I still pop in here most days - never know when more info on the 1/6th will pop up !

Your cousin must be related to my Mother In Law - cause she also thinks I am digging up dirt - yet from my perspective there is no "dirt" it's just life & things have happened in the past with ancestors. You can't change the past - it is what it is !