Author Topic: New POW for database  (Read 4989 times)

Offline GT

New POW for database
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »
Hi all,

I have a new name for your WW1 POW database.

49458 Pte. Richard Gregory 16 Bn bn Wigan 1886

His service records survived with 21 seperate pieces of info.

2 Feb 1917     Called up for service
2 March          Posted to 3 Bn
6 June            Posted to 19 Bn
8 Feb 1918      Posted to 16 Bn
27 April           Reported missing in action
24 June           Regt Paymaster informed POW- wounded in action with GSW to left thigh
18 Aug            Repatriated from Germany and admitted to 1st London General Hospital
25 Oct            Left leg amputated at hip
29 April 1920    Discharged with 100% disability

On the day Richard was reported MIA his younger brother Joseph was killed in action with 8 Bn.

Does anyone know what action 16 Bn took part in at the time Richard was captured.

GT

Offline GT

Re: New POW for database
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:43:23 PM »
His service record confirming POW details

GT

Offline GT

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »
A letter from his wife to either his Regiment or the War Office informing them she had heard from him and he was a POW.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »
Hi all,

I have a new name for your WW1 POW database.

49458 Pte. Richard Gregory 16 Bn bn Wigan 1886

His service records survived with 21 seperate pieces of info.

2 Feb 1917     Called up for service
2 March          Posted to 3 Bn
6 June            Posted to 19 Bn
8 Feb 1918      Posted to 16 Bn
27 April           Reported missing in action
24 June           Regt Paymaster informed POW- wounded in action with GSW to left thigh
18 Aug            Repatriated from Germany and admitted to 1st London General Hospital
25 Oct            Left leg amputated at hip
29 April 1920    Discharged with 100% disability

On the day Richard was reported MIA his younger brother Joseph was killed in action with 8 Bn.

Does anyone know what action 16 Bn took part in at the time Richard was captured.

GT
good work GT,tis is away for a week,but she will add him to the POW database when she gets back.

on 26th april,the battalion was holding the line at spoil bank,south of the ypres-comines canal,they were attacked by the germans,using the heavy mist as cover,one company of the battalion,counter attacked,while the other two companies,formed a defensive flank from shelley farm to voormezeele.
the enemy managed to drive the battalion,back to lock 8,where they were absorbed into 39th composite brigade.
they reformed at scottish camp on 27th
its likely that richard was captured on the 26th.

mack ;D

Offline DaveMurphy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
Mack,

You beat me to it! I was still in bed, damn timezones!

I will certainly add the details of this lad to the 16th's Database. When I get home from work, I will check and see if he is mentioned in the War Diary as missing.

The Battalion were in quite bad shape by this time. Coming only four weeks after being decimated at Manchester Hill.

GT,

If you have any further info on any other 16th Batt lads, I would love to see it!

Cheers,

Dave

Offline GT

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:25:59 PM »
Thanks for the WD info 16 Bn locations mack.

Dave, I don't have any more info on 16 Bn.
I researched Richard of 16 Bn because he is my grandmas cousin. I checked Ancestry and lo and behold all his service records where there showing he was a POW. You are currently helping me with my grandad, Frank Taylor MSM of 1/5 Bn and that is where my interests lie, being based in Wigan.

Now that I have discovered the Manchesters site I will certainly try to help you with any research and pass on any info that might be useful to you.

By the way is there any WD info available on the 1/5 Bn to show what they got up to in France after they came back from the Middle East.

Cheers
GT

Offline DaveMurphy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
GT,

Thanks for the reply. I personally only the War Diary and reference material for the 16th Batt. Chris or Roy may be able to dust off the War Diary for the 5th Batt for you, but they are generally a lot busier on this site than me! If i can find any mor eon Richard, I will let you know.

You never know what Mack may be able to come up with regards time as a POW!

Cheers,

Dave