Author Topic: 11th (Service) Battalion  (Read 3627 times)

Neil Pearce

11th (Service) Battalion
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
Has anybody information on the bronze cap badge for the 11th (Service Battn) Manchesters?

Specifically, where and when this was worn?  I have been browsing the hundreds of fantastic photographs, and can see no reference to this badge....

The badge is fleur de lys, with scroll reading "11th Manchester".  I gather it has also been seen in silver, so presumably for officers only?

All the information on this site suggests that the fleur de lys cap badge was not worn until 1922/23 (1923 officially approved), so am seeking clarification on theis confusing issue.

Is the badge in question a collar badge?

Thanks to all in anticipation!
Regards, Neil

Offline kingo

• Administrator
Re: 11th (Service) Battalion
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 06:06:50 PM »
Neil, there is a photograph of the cap badge on page 17 of Michael Stedmans "Manchester Pals" and he speculates that they were "privately struck by a group of Officers wishing to emphasize the character and origins of their unit as well as the personal status of each Officer". As far as i am aware, the Men wore the traditional cap badge of the coat of arms of Manchester.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Neil Pearce

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:23:27 AM »
Thanks Kingo.  I will obtain a copy of the book.  There seems to be little available information on this badge.

Attached are pictures of my example.  I will post more information as and when it becomes available.

Thanks again, Neil

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
The floriated fleur de lys is very much in the style of the 7th Battalion and (as they were previously) the 4th Volunteer Battalion

the 11th fleur de lys is a very rare badge
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."